Front wiper motor problem

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
kmk

Post by kmk »

hi i have the same problem.

Can you let us know the solution you have for this.

Many thanks

scotland lad

Post by scotland lad »

When I turn on the front window wipers they stop and the fuse blows.How do I fix this ?How do I grease/lubricate the motor?How do I access the motor? Not wanting a £ 250.00 garage bill
D Gilhooley
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

This seems to be caused by corrosion on the output shaft of the motor. You say the motor stops and the fuse blows implying that the blades move,
The motor is at the very top of the engine compartment just below the screen . There is a removable panel near the centre but you may have to take all the surround off to access it unless you use an extension to your oil can.
Never fiddle with it with the igniton ON or it may take your fingers off
scotland lad

Post by scotland lad »

Blades dont move at all , thanks for the advice
D Gilhooley
sharp1983

Post by sharp1983 »

Faulty motor mate, someone said you can try stripping the motor down and drying any moisture out but I had to get a new motor.
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

anything that man can build man can repair
scotland lad

Post by scotland lad »

Hi Pistnbroke, How easy/long should this operation take ? Do i remove the black plastic casing just below the front window and remove the motor ? Do i disconnect the battery ? When i have removed the motor, what do i do with it ? Thanks
D Gilhooley
DanO

Post by DanO »

Having same problems with faulty wipers ... Just stopped working ?Y?z
Took fuse out cleaned it , managed to move wipers & they started going for a few days...
Stopped again...!!!! Got a chance of a 2008 wiper motor but my car is 2009 , does anyone know if this will fit...???
Cheers
BillB

Post by BillB »

Hi, the problem I have found on a number of wiper motors is that the output shaft from the motor driven gearbox is neither sealed or lubricated and can get wet, as a result heavy rusting virtually seizes the shaft add to this the possibilty of blades partially frozen to the windscreen or snow on the sceen and the motor load increases and the current draw exceeds 30 amps and the fuse blows.The following worksEnsure the key is not in the ignition, remove the wiper blades, remove the plastic moulded cover and disconnect the electrical connector. Remove the 4 bolts holding the complete wiper unit in place and remove from the car.Disconnect the wiper linkage from the motor/gearbox, mark the crank fixed to the gearbox output shaft so you know where it alignes when you re-assemble itRemove the back of the gearbox, opposite side from the output shaft. To do this you will need to score round the sealant that has been applied. You will now expose the gear mechanism. Mark the mating points on the output shaft gear to the two small gears to enble alignement when re-assembling. Push the out put shaft out of the gearbox and I am sure you will find it caked in rust. Clean off the rust, find a means of sealing the shaft, o-ring or half a grommet, from the outside and apply lots of grease, moly grease is quite good for this, and re-assemble. Suggest you use a silicon sealant for the back of the gearbox. Call me if you have any problems with the above on 01785 606278 - Cheers
BillB
Marianda24

Post by Marianda24 »

Looks like Im sorted should it happen to me as you live near to me Bill (my daughter lives in Stafford) I will just pop it round to your place.