Insurance and panoramic rooof

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Has anybody found an insurance co that covers the panoramic roof as part of their windscreen/glass policy? My preferred insurance co, esure, said they would only cover it as part of their accidental damage, but I would have to lump up the excess first! Running list (please check yourself before purchase, this list is to give you assistance in making a quick shortlist of where you can go for panoramic protection) *********************************************** The following insurance companies are known to protect the panoramic roof under their windscreen policy: * Direct Line (As of 12/03/15)* Admiral Multicar (As of 12/03/15)* Privilege (as of 13/03/15)* Aviva (as of 30/03/15 and updated 20/07/15)* LV (as of 30/03/15) It is known that these companies do not cover the panoramic roof under their windscreen policy:* Esure

SplanK2015-07-20 08:52:20

manning

Post by manning »

Hi Splank,I'm not from the UK, which i'm assuming you are from, but just incase; I was able to get glass cover with NRMA Insurance. $0 excess for glass claims, entitled to 1 per year, and it covers all glass on the vehicle, including the pana roof :)
JRT

Post by JRT »

I work in insurance though mainly in the corporate end of the spectrum but this includes motor fleet policies. These wordings do not define cover as windscreen but glass cover instead so it would extend to include any element of glass on the car.

The excess only comes payable in the event of relplacement rather then repair. The question would then be, could a pan roof actually be repaired or would this also have to be refitted as new in the event of damage.
2014 (64) Nissan Qashqai 1.5cc Dci Tekna with Panaromic Roof | Gun Metal Grey
Deleted User 759

Manning - Thanks, but I am in the uk :)JRT - I also work in insurance (although in IT and I tend to keep my nose out of day to day operations and the nitty gritty!), however a lot of policies for general public actually exclude panoramic roofs in the small print and class it as bodywork. I know our policies at work (mostly white label rebranded stuff from the big players) don't cover pana roof under the glass/windscreen element. I specifically asked Esure last night, she vanished for a good few minutes before coming back and telling me that their glass/windscreen policy excludes the panoramic roof. Saying that, they wont protect the wife's NCD because she had a bump within 12 months so I am iffing and arring over that policy anyway even if it is the cheapest! Of course, that's the other issue. If it is not covered under the glass element and treated as another body panel, then it will effect your NCD as well as you having to cough up the excess! As for repair/replacement - I would have though a small chip would be treated the same as a windscreen and glued up (in which case, a quick £10 in the back pocket of a glass guy when you see them on a shop car park would do the job!), where as a full on crack would be replacement. I suppose on the flipside, its easy to see how a windscreen can become damaged by a rock flipped up from another car, however thinking about it logically, unless a rock was thrown from a bridge, or whilst the car is parked up its probably less likely for it to become damaged. The poof is the fact that every car I have had has had an un-damaged roof. If something would impact a metal roof at a force that would brake the glass, then I am sure it would leave a dent, or some sort of mark! Of course, its just unlucky when it happens!
vyper1

Post by vyper1 »

Hi Splank,That's a good question to ask, I too will have a pano roof but just naturally assumed it would be included in the glass cover. I have had stones strike the roof in the Twintop whilst on the Mway but they have never left any damage or marks and I'm guessing the Pano roof would be tougher than the windscreen so unless we were really unlucky I think it would hold up to some abuse. But it is still something I want to find out if it's covered so I will be checking with my insurance provider.
New: 2017 1.6T Tekna same as below but Pearl Black, Hood Deflector, Sill Protectors
Old: 2015 1.2T Tekna, Gun Metallic, Panoramic Roof, Chrome Front Lip finisher, Rear Glass Finisher, Trunk Lower Finisher, Door Sill Strips, Mirror Trims, Mud Flaps.
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

My Directline policy says it includes the sunroof.It says it doesn't impact No claims assuming no other damage has occurred.
AlleyCat2015-03-12 09:17:27
Nissan no more...
Deleted User 759

Thanks AlleyCat - I got a quite from them last night, £360 (Esure was £300 but with no NCD protection...) and what seems similar if not better level of cover. Although sunroof is different to that of pana roof, I hope they have just used that as a general term. Will double check with them later.
MJCQQ

Post by MJCQQ »

My insurance through Admiral Multicar does cover the pano roof as part of the windscreen cover. I had a very long phone call with them to get this confirmed with them.
Deleted User 759

Direct Line response:[quote"]]Danny: Thank you for visiting Direct Line. Danny: We would cover your panoramic roof as a normal windscreen claim. This means you would only pay your windscreen excess.. Danny: If your windscreen is repaired by our approved repairer a€“ Autoglass - the excess amount is £10. To replace your windscreen the excess amount is £75. Danny: Just to let you know, windscreen claims won't affect your No Claim Discount [/quote"]] turns out they will also offer NCD protection despite recent fault claim. £60 more, BUT I think that's worth it given the papa protection and NCD protection. I am with Admiral at the moment, I must admit I never thought about pana roof cover until somebody else mentioned it as they had to make a claim!
Deleted User 759

Privilege will also do it as well