Bike racks

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
RVW

Post by RVW »

This is what I use on my Clubbie. Will be also using it on my QQ Tenka when it arrives

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red

El Brillante

Post by El Brillante »

I don't have (and don't want!) a towbar so no good to me. Also don't want to put them on the roof as it's way too much hassle for a 10min drive to where we'd use them, that's why I'm interested to know if the Saris worked.
RVW

Post by RVW »

You're not left with a lot of choice then!
The Saris looks as if it does the job but I would not like to trust it on the paintwork!
Personal preference, so you pays your money and takes your choice. ;)
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red
S_J_P

Post by S_J_P »

I have to say that after around 30 years of transporting various bikes on a variety of cars, I no longer use the racks that clip to the car after a series of problems (insecure, damage, lack of access, and the potential for an expensive broken rear window, plus the potential for them to detach and cause an accident).

For me, the tow-bar mount is by far the safest, most secure, and most practical option for all the reasons cited in this thread. Roof-mounted are my second choice (I've used both tow-ball and roof mounted at the same time when carrying five bikes).

I know it's not what you want to hear, but whilst Clip-on racks may be convenient, I really think they should be outlawed!
Gun-Metal DiG-T 140 Tekna Arrived 19-03-19
Gun-Metal 1.2 DiG-T N-Connecta [Comfort & Heat Packs] Arrived 27-05-16
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

I was reading an Automotor Sport Mag and found this website which can be changed to English as required if it is still of interest : http://www.atera.de - Dave ;)

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Brill

Post by Brill »

Aldi currently have a bike rack which takes 3 bikes, for £29.99. Has anybody tried it? I believe it was also available a year or so ago.
1.6 DCI CVT Acenta Premium September 2014
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

I did not want to re-invent the wheel so I thought I would post here.
We have just got back from a trip to an East Sea Resort in the North of Germany (Bansin / Usedom). On driving up I started to notice more and more cars with Bikes on the roof, on the back and inside. Now some of the Roof mounted Racks looked decidedly doggy to me with lots of movement where as the Tow Bar Type looked very stable. In Bansin there were more Bikes (60% were e-Bikes owned and rented) than cars being used on special lanes, so it looked pretty damn safe. I got talking to some people because the wife has got the e-Bike as she suffers from Asthma in her head and we will take a look in Berlin and a Test Ride.

So my question is does any Forum member have a Tow Bar installation on the QQ J11 being used for two e-Bikes the reason I ask is that the quoted weight is around 25kgs for each Bike. I found a Thule version that looks interesting, but comments coming from experience and use is for me the better way to gain the facts. Any comments would be of interest - Thanks Dave ;)

The included video is interesting :
https://www.thule.com/en/gb/bike-rack/t ... 1-_-931021

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
switchback

Post by switchback »

You just need to check the load rating for the rack and the max "nose weight" allowance of the towbar/car. From what I remember, the towbar loading is about 80kg max.

Edit: NISSAN recommends that the coupling device for
trailer towing be installed under the following conditions:
• Maximum permissible vertical load on the coupling
device: 981 N (100 kg, 221 lb)

Edit again: not so sure now..................Noseweight Towball limit 75 kg Advise 70 kg
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
TomInPanama

Post by TomInPanama »

I was up in the air about this.

I know back "a few years ago" when I lived in the USA. Roof racks on a panoramic roof were illegal due to safety.... glass+ idiots= disaster. So you wont find ANY vehicle with this combo from the factory.

Im still where I was in the first sentence. My car has roof rack strips & panoramic. I never plan on using the roof for storage though. Got through 30 years of driving without them, not gonna start now.