1.6 Dci Auto questions

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

Daewar wrote:"automatics are almost all rated to pull less weight than the equivalent manual .
within this physical limitation , towing performance is in no way inferior , on the contrary some people think its far superior.
as far as i know , almost all automatics including cvt/xtronics etc have torque convertors."

I've done a bit of googling, it appears there are at least 3 clutch type systems for CVT. Torque Converter (QQ), Centrifugal Clutch ( Rev and go mopeds) and hydraulic clutch plate (DSG), so the CVT design is quite widespread in its application.

I guess the choice of gearbox, is mostly going to be horses for courses. Some people will find CVT meets their requirements as its smooth and great in stop / start, disabled person applications and others will need the superior towing capability, fuel economy, control that a manual gearbox gives.
------------------------------

we evidently have to agree to disagree on fuel economy and control re auto/manual options .

nissan actually quote identical consumption (admittedly joke) figures for the two versions of 1.2 petrol .

it is simple to to select any desired ratio with the cvt paddle .

i think the DSG auto is a different animal , not a cvt , but i dont know this , maybe we may get a response from someone who does.
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.

montimar

Post by montimar »

The DSG gearbox has fixed gear ratios same as a manual box. The Nissan CVT has an infinite number of ratios and the engine speed will change sublect to road conditions and drivers right foot. When the cruise control is engaged the engine speed will ramp up and down subject to road conditions to maintain a constant road speed. It operates on a 2 cone and belt principle and is very good for fuel consumption as the engine is always running at optimum revs.
April 2014 Acenta 1.6 Xtronic Blade Silver
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

I have come from a 1.8 petrol manual civic which I think was 139 ponies, and now have the '14 1.6 130 Dci Tekna automagic. Initially I went for it out of pure laziness and yes at times there a bit of lag, but you soon get used to how it drives and all becomes well. As for "urge", flick off Eco, kick it to sport and lead foot it and I personally found little difference with my civic, sure it can have a bit of hesitation, but learning the car and how it responds can eliminate most of it. I do that far less now, I think I went from driving like a joyrider in a much lower car to driving like a nun being too high up in comparison.
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I do realise DSG has fixed gear ratios and it's a double gearbox system. Maybe I should have made my statement a little clearer.

"hydraulic clutch plate (DSG)" - CVT gearboxes can have a hydraulic clutch as used in DSG gearboxes.
montimar wrote:The DSG gearbox has fixed gear ratios same as a manual box. The Nissan CVT has an infinite number of ratios and the engine speed will change sublect to road conditions and drivers right foot. When the cruise control is engaged the engine speed will ramp up and down subject to road conditions to maintain a constant road speed. It operates on a 2 cone and belt principle and is very good for fuel consumption as the engine is always running at optimum revs.