Jitter on 2nd Gear on Nearly New Qashqai

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
hobs777

Post by hobs777 »

Hello,

I have a 1.5 dCi Tekna. I had a 1.5 dCi Acenta, and noticed the same problem also:

When going from 1st to 2nd - under certain conditions, the engine jumps or jitters forward. I have to get my foot of the gas for it calm down.

Does anyone else suffer from this? Why does that happen? Does my car need tuning?

I must confess: it happens more on the Acenta model than the Tekna model. I notice that I could make the problem less pronounced if I stay longer on 1st gear and change to 2nd gear after 1st gear was maxed. I.e. My driving style is to change to 2nd gear ASAP - but with Qashqai this does not seem to fair well. Do you all suffer from this? My previous car was a Toyota RAV 4 which was a gas guzzler and It responded well to moving to 2nd gear ASAP. I'd only use the 1st gear to get the car started or moving and then swiftly go to 2nd gear. But my Qashqai really needs to enjoy its time on 1st gear. It gets upset if I move to 2nd early - but engine jitter??? Isn't she behaving a bit irrationally??

Thanks
H

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

You say 'under certain conditions', what exactly?
hobs777

Post by hobs777 »

I honestly forget what the conditions are. I think it's if there speed is too slow for the gear.

But I always thoughts that iit's best to get off first gear as soon as possible.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Tried to replicate on mine and not noticing anything. Whats your normal rpm when you're changing up from first?
switchback

Post by switchback »

Not sure I'd call it a jitter(more like a "surge") but it could just be the turbo coming onto boost. You need to either let it rev a bit more in first or accelerate more gently. Same in all gears but more noticeable in the lower ones.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.