Best Diesel Fuel

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
AdamC84
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by AdamC84 »

Hello.

What is the best Diesel to use for our Qashqai Acenta 1.5 DCI?

I want to use BP or Shell but which do you think is the better fuel, either standard or the premium diesel?

Thanks

Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

Shell or BP fuel are just as good as each other, DONT use supermarket fuels its crap, I once drove down to Cornwall in the car on BP and drove round for the week, filled up at Morrisons on when leaving Cornwall and just about got home on a full tank! Since then and that was nearly 10 years ago I've only used shell or BP. Our dealer told us not to use super fuels from BP or shell as it burnes hotter and they have seen damage from this! Hope this helps!
AdamC84

Post by AdamC84 »

So would you think you get better mpg with shell or BP. Which you think is better overall.

I had a voucher off shell for premium fuel which I filled up last week with. Won't do again, think car will be ok?
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

The mpg was a lot better! I also drive a for a living doing 50-60k a year and only use BP as I get nectar points (bonus) and the MPG was is quite good.
AdamC84

Post by AdamC84 »

Thanks.

So you think filling up the tank once with shell nitro + diesel was ok. Then revert back to Shell or BP fuel?
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

1 tank shouldn't hurt, no doubt someone else on here will have a completely different opinion and disagree with what I say, but this is what I found and what works best for me!
benchmark

Post by benchmark »

I've supermarket fuels in the cars\bikes and have never had a problem.

In brief, our research throws up the following conclusions:

There’s no scientific evidence to suggest that supermarket fuel is inferior to its brand-name equivalent.

There are some proven benefits to using more expensive “super” fuels, but these benefits are only really pronounced in sporty vehicles.
https://www.petrolprices.com/blog/super ... wdown.html
Charlie Miller

Post by Charlie Miller »

Interesting thread. With my previous two cars (both diesels), I have mostly used Tesco fuel. With the QQ I have mostly used Shell fuel and every four or five tanks used v power diesel. Did a 650 mile round trip to Newcastle last week and the car performed well. Having read this thread I may do a bit more research re the super fuels but I guess there will always be differing opinions regarding their use.
2016 N-Connecta 1.6 dci Xtronic: Pano Roof/Rails: Heat Pack: Black Alloygators: Gun Metal.
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

To be jinn I think that this topic has being covered befor, so it might be worth a dig on the search box!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

The difference between fuel brands and either standard or plus/max variantsis so small you would need to be running tests in lab conditions to observe any benefits/poor performance etc. The adatives that are used are included to help keep the engine clean. In theory this could lead to better performance, but it would be that minute you'd barely notice in the real world. Supermarket fuels are just as good as branded fuels. They have industry standards that they all have to adhere to. The extra cost involved for premium brands and high performance grades is not really worth it as the returns are minimal. I presume you bought a 1.5 diesel for its economy, so go with the cheap stuff cos the expensive stuff is just wasting your hard earned cash.