VW Emission tests

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Why worry. Nothing you can do about it. The cars will undoubtedly be retested in the fullness of time. In the meantime, keep on driving. If they have cheated, they have and will need to do something about it. It will be a common issue with Renault, who supply the Nissan diesel engines and use them in their own cars. If they haven't, well they haven't and nothing changes.

Its not something that anyone should be the least concerned about outside of any cheating company shareholders.

QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

Polluting the atmosphere willingly is something different than doing it without knowing. At least for me.
You're free to have a different opinion.
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna
Deleted User 1571

You are polluting the atmosphere every time you start your car. Your very existence pollutes the Earth. Get things in proportion. There are real issues that you could do something about.
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

I can understand that there is a considerable difference between test emissions and real time driving emissions. As long as the tests are carried out in full compliance, which was not the case with VW who chose to use a defeat device, we are where regulation has taken us.
What I am not happy about is the fact that there is a huge difference between test and real time emissions. We all understood that mpg test figure were an indicator to make like for like comparison and not achievable in the real world but I for one had no idea how far off they were on emission levels. Diesel is not the clean fuel we thought it was when buying our cars. We were all given to believe that CO2 was the important indicator and the lower this went the better for us. Naive, yes probably, but it was all I knew and it was all I was being told at the time. I feel that I have been lied to by omission as Testers, Manufactures and now it seems, Governments were all aware that this was not the true story.
Am I going to loose sleep over this, no, as I can do nothing about the choice I made but I will think twice when choosing my next car.
The important thing going forward is to have a revised test that provides a more realistic indication of both mpg and emissions for Europe and the rest of the World.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
Deleted User 1571

Don't believe the hype. Current engines are of an order of magnitude cleaner than they were ten years ago in every potentially harmful emission you can think of. This is due primarily to legislation that first reduced sulphur in the fuel and then virtually eliminated it so that catalytic convertors could work. They also reduced aromatics substantially. Then the first stages of engine cleanliness standards started around the mid 1990's which saw my current Land Cruiser fitted with high pressure mechanical but precision electronically controlled pump and a convertor in the exhaust. Then around 2000 we had stiffer standards which saw even more EGR percentage introduced. Next came very high pressure computer controlled 'common-rail' type precision in combustion efficiency and more EGR still. Then in 2005 or so we first saw DPF fitted to remove soot from the exhaust and subsequent more tightening. Lately we have seen a drastic further reduction in all gas emissions and particulate matter.

It really doesn't matter what the precise figures are. That varies with so many things, such as power output, engine size, the driver's right foot, the weather and a myriad of other things.

What matters is the relative improvement over the last generation and the generation before that and before that again, that ensures that as the older vehicles become obsolete and are scrapped, that the aggregate of all emissions from all engines declines to allow for a cleaner overall atmosphere. To that end one should not forget the massive contribution of the downsizing of engines generally and their increased fuel economy, again as seen in the national fleet, not in any one particular car.

These are the things that matter, not a figure that means absolutely nothing to you in the grand scheme of things. The figure has to be taken in the context I've explained above.

You may sleep soundly tonight while knowing that your current diesel car not only is more powerful while being at least as economical as they can make it currently at the price, but also that it emits probably near 98% less soot and NOx than a similar car of only 10 years ago.
I know that one of my new engines can be run for nearly six months, all day long every day, before it emits the same amount of these pollutants as a similar power and weight vehicle built in 1993 does in one single hard day of use. And I'm still using that one yet and will continue to do so until it expires.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

My view is that Nissan have 'stolen a march' on this issue, being a bit crafty before the legislators get to them. I'll bet the Euro5 engine produced the same CO2 emissions as the new variant but I bet it wasn't tested with the 19" rims....probably not illegal, but avoiding the truth.
Deleted User 1571

I suspect that using EGR, that the percentage of EGR has been increased to meet Euro6 and economy has suffered slightly. I also think it was the other way around and that the previous Euro5 had been tested only with the 19" rims and wider tyres, so that it needed re-testing and re-classifying for Euro6.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. Drive and enjoy.
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

Don't believe the hype. Current engines are of an order of magnitude cleaner than they were ten years ago in every potentially harmful emission you can think of.
I do not believe in hypes. I have (some) belief in figures. Can you support your claim with some figures or are they just by instinct?

Fooling the customer and playing tricks with the rules will bite you..
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Just a few more facts followed up by Panorama showing a Test Procedure – Dave :shock:

A laboratory test carried out for the BBC's Panorama programme shows that Volkswagen diesel cars programmed with a "defeat device" can cheat the official European pollution test, as well as the test in the United States. The company told the BBC it believes this is the first time the cheating software has been filmed in action. Volkswagen has admitted it used the device to rig tighter pollution tests in America. But it has been more ambiguous about whether it used the same tactics to actively cheat official European tests.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34857404

Volkswagen has "no plans" to compensate customers in Europe whose diesel cars were rigged to cheat emissions tests. VW has set aside £4.8bn to cover recall costs, but had not until now said there would be no compensation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34899937
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Well it looks at last that there is Light at the End of the Tunnel for VW and it's Customers - Dave ;)

VW reveals details of how it will fix emissions cheating cars and says there'll be no cuts to fuel economy or performance. All recalls to be completed by the end of 2016 and take less than an hour. 1.6TDI engines will need a 'flow transformer'; 2.0TDI get software updates. Fix for 1.2TDI engines to be confirmed at the end of November

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/a ... -cars.html

A video posted on YouTube today by Volkswagen Group presents the company's plan for fixing its so-called EA 189 diesel engines — the 1.6-liter and 2-liter power plants that make up the majority of vehicles embroiled in an ongoing emissions cheating scandal. The update VW is proposing consists of two steps: an engine control software update and the installation of a "flow transformer", a plastic grating that's supposed to help even out the flow of air going into the mass flow sensor. The mass flow sensor is the component of an engine that determines how much air is entering the intake, which then determines how much fuel should be injected.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/25/9800 ... -fix-video

And now Volkswagen are Told to Prepare Recall Plan for 3-Liter Diesel Models (VW, Audi, Porsche).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... el-engines
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken