White Lines being phased out by Highways Agency

The place to discuss everything else..
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi Gel, I read this yesterday on the Beeb and thought it was a Joke but obviously not. I thought the comment from the AA was correct, but open to opinion as always - Dave ;) :

Edmund King, president of the AA, said he had asked followers on Twitter whether central white lines should be removed and people had told him the idea was "absurd, barmy and crazy". Mr King said faster roads "definitely" required central lines, adding that new cars fitted with lane departure systems also required white lines. He said schemes could work on "smaller, quieter roads", but warned geographical differences could be "confusing to road users".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35480736

What are you going to do in the UK without the QQ "Bells & Whistles" Alarms going off - Fall Asleep ! :lol:
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

I think removal on country lanes is inexcusable; current lane discipline on corners (by many) is poor currently; remove them & the guidance they provide and I can see plenty of head on collisions happening.
I always hoot on blind bends, and why I replaced the pathetic oem horns like you.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

It's certainly going to leave a lot of interpretation to be done when the inevitable accidents occur...
Nissan no more...
MrRed

Post by MrRed »

In my village the council spent months and thousands of pounds to slow the traffic down. They painted a herring bone no mans land about a mile long and two feet wide. Inside of the herring bones they painted red. This has made each side of the road psychologically narrower and has slowed down the traffic a little. Over all it is seen as an expensive paint job where speed bumps would have been a better option. The traffic was actually slower while all of the traffic cones were in place during the painting.

Having said that, the idea of removing white lines is suicidal and I agree with AlleyCat with regard to insurance claims.
1.5 Dci Acenta Premium, Magnetic Red, Towbar and 7 Pin Electrics, Spare Wheel, ALA Gap Insurance, Poor out of date expensive £109 Maps from Nissan
PeterPerfect13
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by PeterPerfect13 »

My sister lives in an idyllic cottage down a country lane in the depths of Cornwall. She tells me the only thing that spoils the tranquility are the idiots who feel the need to sound their horn every time they approach the bend near her property.
2017 Magnetic Red 1.2 CVT Tekna

Post by 298 »

The idea actually works quite well in small villages as an alternative to lots of white lines, countdown signage and red tarmac- as long as the driving standards of the road users are at a certain level.

However, where I live white lines are merely seen as an advisory and obeying them is optional, and this standard is prevalent at all levels, including that of the planners within the council highway department down to the bloke who paints them on a Friday afternoon. A small roundabout near where I live has two lanes going onto but no markings on it, and as you can imagine the average cretin just straight lines it and the exit yet wonders why near misses happen.

So yes, great idea...as soon as dashcams become compulsory.
2014 1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium in Gunmetal Grey.