Tow bar wiring.

ICE, Equipment, Options
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

Having removed the towbar from my Mk1 QQ and fitted it to the Mk 2 QQ both without removing the bumper I wonder if there is a socket hidden somewhere to connect the 7 pin socket to....It was easy on the Mk1 as the wiring was on the Left of the boot but not so easy on the Mk 2

RoadKnight

Post by RoadKnight »

Hi, I just fitted a towbar to my new QQ. The design of your towbar must be different from mine as the bumper definitely needs to come off to give access to the two rails that the bracing plates slide into and get bolted into place when the bar is installed. This was a standard Nissan kit and the multi-pin electrical connector was definitely on the LHS of the boot after removing several trim panels - well taped-up and hidden. There was also an adaptor cable piece and it was unclear when this would be needed, but I fitted it anyway and all seems to work fine.
The kit included a small electronics/relay box that gets mounted near the connector in the boot, that I assume isolates the trailer electrics from the car electrics - as it has its own 12v power connection. This was in Australia and it did say that this kit was only for Australia, so it may be different in other countries.
So the connector definitely is there, however it may well be wired differently in MK2 than MK1. Hope this helps, Guy
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

Thanks for that ...there are holes in the bottom of the chasis rails so I just drilled through into the boot and put two large plates on the inside ...and of course you have to take the valance off twice if you do it the proper way ..once when you fit it and once to take it off when you return it to the lease company.. I just connected the wiring behind the lights. I dont like pulling trim off it never goes back right.
RoadKnight

Post by RoadKnight »

Ok, that sounds like a good approach - the plate in the boot and the wiring. You're right about the trim not going back on right. When removing the bumper the black trim around the back wheel arch needs to come off as well - and I managed to break a couple of clips and snap off a bit of a moulding on the trim. Fortunately the dealer had plenty of clips ("they're always breaking those" he told me) and Liquid Nails fixed the moulding back in place - phew!
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

liquid nails ..no good on a lease car got to go back as supplied ....I only use it for a bike rack so no problem and no MOT now