BT connection issues paused - Iphone

ICE, Equipment, Options
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

To be honest, the problem is mostly Apple, not Nissan.

Apple do not like following other peoples standards. Just look at the connector itself, they went out of their way to design their own and 'be different'. The same applies to other things, and they frequently change things to make then 'just about' work, but

At work, I frequently encounter issues with Apple devices, be if wifi issues, Bluetooth issues or just some other quirk.

Sandgrounder
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Sandgrounder »

I currently have an iPhone 6s and, before that, the 5s. Bluetooth and/or USB cable worked fine with both handsets to stream music from the Apple music library on each respective device to the Nissan Connect. I have never used third-party apps to stream music because I have a paltry data allowance so I store all my music on the iPhone. When I plug my iPhone into the USB socket, sometimes I have to press/cycle the AUX button and then the album artwork and track information appear (see picture). The iPhone's battery gets charged up when it is plugged into the Nissan's USB socket.

I do know Apple are particular over what you can stream and use Bluetooth for in case it impacts battery life.

Have you tried using another USB cable? If you're using a third-party USB cable, it may not be up to Apple's standard as they did start to block some third-party lightning cables a few years ago.

iPhone and Nissan Connect.png

Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
mavrik64

Post by mavrik64 »

Hi

I use iPhone 5s and use on BT all the time now. I have a cradle from Brodit that has the lightning cable and comes with the cigarette lighter charger. This set up works great most of the time, however of late it's been a bit "intermittent".

I use Waze as a sat nav all the time in the car, and with the charger plugged in, it will power and charge the 5s. At the same time and with the BT, i will usually listen to audio books or pod casts. This set up still lets Waze announce stuff.

I used to use the phone plugged into the USB port under the armrest with the same cradle set up, but i found this was causing either the phone or the Connect BT (not sure which) to crash/lock up (not what you want when driving). This is why i've had to go with the BT only option. I have to say i favour the direct connection as the audio playback is far better (when it works) and when playing music, the Connect would display the album covers etc.
I used to use the Nissan Connect app when plugging in to the Connect unit, but this also started to give me problems.

Overall the iPhone user experience isn't quite where it should be (or where it was in the old Connect unit in my 2013 360). I don't need or want Facebook or web searching on the head unit, i have a much more useable phone for this. All i want to do is to plug into the USB port hand for the system to just work.

Of late i've noticed an increased number of problems with the BT playback. For example on the way to work this morning i was listening to a pod cast over BT and all worked well. I popped out lunchtime and it continued to work well. I went to drive home tonight and the BT refused to connect to the Connect. I know the BT on the phone is working as my iWatch is still connected to the iPhone. I had to reboot the Connect and once back up it re-established the BT connection to the iPhone and worked fine all the way home.
This only thing that is consistent now is the increasing number of times it's not working. I will check firmware version tomorrow and try and get through the the dealership (if they pick up the bloody phone) and try and report the issues. It may be there's another update for it.....

hope i haven't rambled on too long

Mav
I owe, I owe = so it's of to work i go
2014 Tekna 4x4 Black.
mavrik64

Post by mavrik64 »

SplanK wrote:To be honest, the problem is mostly Apple, not Nissan.

Apple do not like following other peoples standards. Just look at the connector itself, they went out of their way to design their own and 'be different'. The same applies to other things, and they frequently change things to make then 'just about' work, but

At work, I frequently encounter issues with Apple devices, be if wifi issues, Bluetooth issues or just some other quirk.

@Splank
I know Apple like to stand apart from the crowd (and then turn into the crowd :) ) and i'm far from being a "fanboy" (i still use Windows and dabble with Linux (RPI)) but i still find my Macbook Pro to be easier to use for things like WiFi and BT and continue to see more issues with Windows 7 through 10 for Wifi connectivity. That and the crap WiFi at work :)
I owe, I owe = so it's of to work i go
2014 Tekna 4x4 Black.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

MacBook Pro != iPhone though

Different Operating systems, completely different hardware....
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Pop into your local friendly dealer and see if one of their techs will advise you. The Nissan dealer in Swansea were very helpful with me when my QQ decided to keep the phone ringing through the speaker systems even after I answered and hung up the call, even though I didn't get the car through them
viperstango

Post by viperstango »

I have the same problem in my Nissan altima and this is by design from Nissan.
When you connect the phone thru usb cable BT audio streaming is disabled but hands free still works. You will have to select any of the streaming apps on the console and it will play music thru the cable
Not sure why they designed it this way but Nissan is not the only manufacturer, as I have seen this in Hyundai and RangeRover.
I had a Murano with 7" Navigation (same system as in Infiniti vehicles) which plays audio over BT even when there is another phone connected via USB because it has 2 BT chips in it. 1 for audio streaming and another for handsfree calling.
But this is not the case with many other cars, i guess they are being cheap of installing extra BT chip even when you spend ~50K on a car(RangeRover)
bovinemoney

Post by bovinemoney »

After arguing with them about this for a couple of years and trying to get help, they just send me an email and it says:

"Regarding the connexion with your car and the charging of you phone, we advice you to use "Carplay" so you don't need the USB cable anymore."

I didn't know I could use carplay? Is this an option now? Why wasn't I told. Oh I just was. Really?
bovinemoney

Post by bovinemoney »

Anyone having this issue? Have a newer phone for 2 months now (iphone 7) and same issue. It's really ruined the whole experience for me. I know Louis CK would stand there and laugh at me and say 'First World problem' but it's something so simple, it should just work.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

I'd blame apple rather than nissan - they are the ones that tie everything down so tight that no 3rd party manufacturer can talk to their tech