J11 Battery charging system problem

ICE, Equipment, Options
duncho

Post by duncho »

chrisw99 wrote: Interestingly, the new battery isn't Nissan branded or any brand for that matter, it is just a black box with small label showing the spec.

Normally I would insist on genuine Nissan parts, but it seems like their batteries are not up to the job so I'm happy with this one, for now.
Please send a photo of the battery, I will tell you whether it is genuine or aftermarket. Include also the label on the second photo.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!

Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

Can anyone make a video of The funktion with The sensor of? Over a long drive?

Maybe in short videos?
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Anonymous, no video but a photo and 3 readings for you.
The photo was taken with the engine OFF.
With the engine idling the reading was 13.2V and on the road it read a steady 14.75V

IMG_20170316_180822.jpg

duncho

Post by duncho »

Cannot be 12.98V with engine OFF, but it is normal during the drive. The information is incorrect :)

PS not mentioning that Connect shows the battery voltage with +0.49V offset.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

duncho wrote:Cannot be 12.98V with engine OFF, but it is normal during the drive. The information is incorrect :)

PS not mentioning that Connect shows the battery voltage with +0.49V offset.
Duncho, these figures are correct, whether you believe me or not. I only checked the figures this evening, after the car had been parked all day. I suppose it depends on the integrity of the battery, and maybe I am lucky enough to have one thats not been compromised.
I will however check my figures again tomorrow.
duncho

Post by duncho »

Not possible, max possible voltage on open battery terminals will settle at 12.6v unless immediatelly disconnected from charger. But you had load over night as you are saying that the car had some rest. Also, as soon as you unlock the car, there is significant load on the battery peak more than 20A and then about 5A with ignition OFF or around 16A with ignition ON. Please see my measures here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3214&start=30

Therefore, even if you would have driven long distance night before, battery voltage will settle around 12.4v (the best possible scenario, usually it is around 12.2v). I know what I'm talking about as I have voltmeter constantly ON, so I always look at it before I unlock the car. After I open the door, voltage drops immediately to 12.19v. If you start the car, voltage varies as I said, but then settles about 12.8v. Therefore I'm confident to say that you photo is taken during the drive or while engine idling.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Your confidence is incorrect, honestly, im not making this up. Like I said, ill check again tomorrow.
duncho

Post by duncho »

Ok check and let us know. Meanwhile some theory for you to get familiar with, directly from a battery experts :)

About lead-acid batteries:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _batteries

Charging lead-acid batteries:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... id_battery

How to measure state of charge:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _of_charge

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Duncho, I'm not in the least interested in getting familiar with battery charging/voltage theory. It honestly means nothing to me and im certainly not in the market forentering into an argument, particularly in a subject I know absolutely nothing about. I was merely sharing a handful of figures, obtained from the diagnostic screen on the Connect unit in my vehicle. I posted them in good faith and they are correct, or at least as correct as th QQs diagnostic function allows. It is an original Fiamm battery, always use the stop/start function, mixed driving pattern of short and mid range runs, radio andcaircon on most of the time, most driving done in rush hour traffic.....I mention all this because I havent had any problems with the battery to date.
duncho

Post by duncho »

Okay noted, I'm just saying that what you noted (12.98v with engine OFF) is confronting with physicochemical laws ;)