J11 Battery charging system problem

ICE, Equipment, Options
Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

The Black one with The White text On it. In The middle.

Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

Could you make some more information about The s/s an more charging voltage.
Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

Skift til dansk
the battery will boil acid of the term.
(Within short time)?
duncho

Post by duncho »

That module in the middle is BCM (Body Controle Module).
Variable Charge Voltage was introduced in order to:
- help the car reducing emission by means of decreasing alternator load during acceleration or increasing the load while decelerating (generated charge voltage varies from 11.8V to 14.6V)
- monitor the battery conditions (charge, discharge, temperature)
- prolong the battery life by means of reducing gassing of the battery cells

In reality it proved to me that it isn't sufficiently designed and the battery is left undercharged most of the time, especially in winter time. That in long terms leads to sulfating of the battery cells, which not only decrease the battery capacity, but may in the worst case scenario also cause short in one of the battery cells (that is what is happening with FIAMM batteries).

Charging pattern of lead-acid batteries and in general any battery type depends very much on ambient temperature while it's charging. In lower battery temperature (around and below 0'C) charge voltage needs to increase (up to 14.6V) in order to keep it fully charged i.e. to achieve chemical reaction of electrolyte (H2SO4) voltage needs to be increased. Vice versa, in high temperature (hot climate) charge voltage should decrease (up to 13.8V) in order to prevent the battery cells from gassing, caused by faster electrolyte chemical reaction in temp above 25'C. This is why I disconnect the battery sensor in winter time only.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
duncho

Post by duncho »

This is what you need to do in order to disable variable charge voltage http://youtu.be/jf5rVa4C9PA

Mocca

Post by Mocca »

:-)
Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

Thanks.
I Think What The battery say to a drive over 6 hours Like that:-)? With 14,6v?
Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

Can you show The voltage in this menu?
https://youtu.be/01l59Hhfuo4
duncho

Post by duncho »

Battery says nothing as the majority of cars produced globally regulate alternator voltage to 14.6V. Previous Qashqai J10 had this kind of charging too.
I will take a short video from the service menu and will upload it here.

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I just bought a 2 year old QQ from a Nissan dealer and wasn't happy with the battery (stop/start failure was on the screen during the test drive), so I insisted before I take ownership they do a full battery test and show me the results. Next day, they told me a new battery will be fitted at their cost.

Interestingly, the new battery isn't Nissan branded or any brand for that matter, it is just a black box with small label showing the spec.

Normally I would insist on genuine Nissan parts, but it seems like their batteries are not up to the job so I'm happy with this one, for now.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T