Hill Start Assist

ICE, Equipment, Options
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Just find any decent slope: I find reversing on any reasonable slope, the hill start green icon illuminates.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D

switchback

Post by switchback »

Get on a slope, press the brake pedal and see if the green symbol appears. Mine seems to have a mind of its own and sometimes works on a gentle incline but not on a steep slope :roll: . Or just use the electronic hand brake for a hill start as it always works properly.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Tried it on my way home, didn't seem to happen where I thought it would and couldn't find any suitable slopes. Ironically, when I got home my driveway is sloping but of course every time I've ever turned the car on on the drive, the parking brake has been applied. Put my foot on the brake and turned off the parking brake manually and the green icon came on.

Worked every time I tried it on the drive, but haven't got it to come on in practice out and about on slopes that seem steeper than my drive. At least I know it works now though.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
benchmark

Post by benchmark »

On the whole I find it works quite well on mine, there maybe the odd occasion when I think it was steep enough but it failed to come on. I even have it on the motorbike which can be helpful on steep hills with a camber, luggage and pillion :)
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

On the whole, i find the QQ hill assist lacking, although when it has activated it worked well . I have had 2 minis now with hill assist at it works on just about any incline, where as the QQ needs quite an angle to get it working. Why Nissan cant make it work all the time I do not know. In fact the mini system is so good you don't need a light to come on to tell you its working because it works all the time.
kwaka

Post by kwaka »

Not sure if is a standard feature on all models.
Not difficult to test as will work on a fairly shallow hill. Just apply the handbrake and when you release it you should get a green light in the dash display with a green symbol that will light up. (Have it in 1st gear).
Should hold you on the hill for a second or two.
Guess the reason is to give you time for your foot to go from the brake to the throttle, as the correct way to release the handbrake is to apply the brake pedal then move the brake lever.

However I tend to just find the biting point of the clutch and just drive away as this is another way of releasing the handbrake (probably not the best for the car though).
Does take a lot more effort when actually on a hill.
Having had the car for several months now I have got used to the EHB now.
1.2 Dig-t N-connecta manual
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

kwaka wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:15 pm Not sure if is a standard feature on all models.
Not difficult to test as will work on a fairly shallow hill. Just apply the handbrake and when you release it you should get a green light in the dash display with a green symbol that will light up. (Have it in 1st gear).
Totally confused by this now. If you've got the electronic hand brake, why would you need to release it to then get hill assist? If you've got the EHB you just start driving away and the EHB itself is the hill assist.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
kwaka

Post by kwaka »

Think my scenario is that the HSA kicks in if i dip the clutch on the hill if i nearly stall it , as the EHB needs a fair bit of revs to release it.(More so on steeper gradients). Sometimes I release manually now and just use the HSA.

Either way....think prefer old style handbrakes.
1.2 Dig-t N-connecta manual
BrettB
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by BrettB »

Have had my Tekna 1.5dci manual for a month now and struggled at first to get HSA to work (despite lots of online searching). Think I have cracked it now so sharing what works for me in case it helps others. I find HSA only engages if the EPB is off, foot on the brake pedal and I select a gear from neutral. So if I pull up on a slope, apply footbrake only, come into neutral then reselect 1st gear ( or Reverse) the green HSA light comes on then when ready, off the brake pedal and the car will hold for a moment whilst i lift the clutch and apply gas.

If stopped on a slope with Elec parking brake on/gear in neutral/feet off pedals the sequence is foot on brake pedal, release EPB, select 1st (or R), green light comes on then pull away.
You can of course use the EPB auto release but sometimes needs a fair few revs depending on slope. I have found the method above works on fairly shallow inclines.
Others may do it differently but hopefully this may help some.
2016 Tekna 1.5dci manual.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

BrettB wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:15 pm Have had my Tekna 1.5dci manual for a month now and struggled at first to get HSA to work (despite lots of online searching). Think I have cracked it now so sharing what works for me in case it helps others. I find HSA only engages if the EPB is off, foot on the brake pedal and I select a gear from neutral. So if I pull up on a slope, apply footbrake only, come into neutral then reselect 1st gear ( or Reverse) the green HSA light comes on then when ready, off the brake pedal and the car will hold for a moment whilst i lift the clutch and apply gas.

If stopped on a slope with Elec parking brake on/gear in neutral/feet off pedals the sequence is foot on brake pedal, release EPB, select 1st (or R), green light comes on then pull away.
You can of course use the EPB auto release but sometimes needs a fair few revs depending on slope. I have found the method above works on fairly shallow inclines.
Others may do it differently but hopefully this may help some.
That's exactly how it is meant to operate.