Foglight bulb replacement

ICE, Equipment, Options
Coupe racing

Post by Coupe racing »

Hi

I have tried a search , but cannot find any info regarding the replacement of front foglight bulbs.

Some say its bumper off
Some say inspection panel
Some say wheels off , and wheel arch liner removal.

Whats the accepted method please ?
Oct 2016 - Qashqai 1.5DCi N - Connecta - Pearl Black Metallic
Aug 2016 - Qashqai 1.2 DID-T Acenta with Premium Pack - Gun Metallic Grey

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

foglamp.jpg

Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Wow, what a stupid design for a modern car. Mini get a round inspection cover inside the wheel arch u rotate to gain access to the sidelights & foglights. Talk about taking a step backwards into the past. It make me wonder where some of these retarded designers come from.
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

Daewar, I agree, ill thought out!
On my J10 facelift, with the relevant wheel off, and on a jack stand for safety, I removed two philips' screws under the light, and by easing the plastic wing trim off slightly, the wheel arch liner can be bent down and tied so you can get a hand in.
Tight, but doable, two 11mm. nuts hold the light. If the bulb is stiff, it might be easier to remove the light to change the bulb.
2013 J10 SE 1.6 dCi 6speed manual, 4wd.
Coupe racing

Post by Coupe racing »

Based on the info given , which I trust is for the J11 , then I will take pictures and publish here
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Daewar wrote:Wow, what a stupid design for a modern car. Mini get a round inspection cover inside the wheel arch u rotate to gain access to the sidelights & foglights. Talk about taking a step backwards into the past. It make me wonder where some of these retarded designers come from.
There maybe a sound logical reason for the design..... but more than likely cost saving.

You pick fault and say "mini is better" in this scenario, however I bet fi you flipped it around, you may find that the QQ does something else better.

Yes, its not a neat solution to a problem, however no car is 100% perfect. Look at those cars that need the headlight or other parts to be taken out to change the bulb for example, just as bad, if not worse than this mildly inconvenient maintenance of the fog light bulb which should be an infrequent replacement anyway!
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I have to agree with your statement, but the cost must be quite small to have an access flap door for the lights. I understand its all those small savings that lead to a bigger overall saving, but sometimes like in this case, its cost against practicality and penny pinching gone mad. Maybe if LED Fog lights were fitted I could understand as they should last the life of the car.

Its a long time ago now, but I remember a friend who had a Renault 21 or something like that, he had to remove all sorts of stuff from under the bonnet to change a headlight bulb. Things really need to move on.

SplanK wrote:
Daewar wrote: You pick fault and say "mini is better" in this scenario, however I bet fi you flipped it around, you may find that the QQ does something else better.

Yes, its not a neat solution to a problem, however no car is 100% perfect. Look at those cars that need the headlight or other parts to be taken out to change the bulb for example, just as bad, if not worse than this mildly inconvenient maintenance of the fog light bulb which should be an infrequent replacement anyway!
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

I have changed headlight and sidelight bulbs on my last 3 cars (not QQ though) and access varies from the really stupid to very easy. However generally any bulb changing on any car seems to lean towards the stupid.

MFG's should really make this stuff easy but just don't. Not sure if its cost cutting or not, but access is just not easy.

Looking at above if my fog lights go ill take it to the dealer ¬!
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
Coupe racing

Post by Coupe racing »

Well - I have just completed this job.
Took about 10 mins per side.
There is a quicker way than the diagram kindly provided.

Under each front foglamp on a J11 - there is a small squarish piece of trim , held in with a few screws.
This doesn't need to be removed , just manipulated out of the way.
No need to jack the car up or remove any wheels , just turn the steering to full lock to suit the access needs.

I took a few pictures if anyone is interested.
Iandee

Post by Iandee »

Good post. I've looked underneath and note these square bits plus screws. Some pics may be useful for future ?
Ian Dee
1.2 petrol manual Acenta Premium Dig-T Reg May 2014, Magnetic Red. bought Feb 2015.