testing aircon in cool weather

ICE, Equipment, Options
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Bought my 2.5 year old J11 a couple of weeks ago, and with all the air con problems reported on here I was wondering if it's possible to test it in cool dry weather?

I just had a 10 min drive with it turned it down to LO and it was blasting icy air at me, but it's only 12C outside. At the end of the drive I lifted the bonnet and the aircon pipe which on previous cars is usually freezing and covered in condensation was just cool, and after 30 mins there's not a single drop of water on the driveway underneath the car (which I noticed on my previous car even through the winter on mild days).

However, I have read that is dependent on the humidity of the air, if it's cool and dry then there's no moisture to actually condense on your pipes and the times I've noticed moisture/ice cold pipes on previous cars was always hot days.

Is it possible to test it without a hot day? I was certainly freezing to death by the end of my 10 min drive with it on LO.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Get a decent digital thermometer, the air should be at about 4C at the air vents in full lo
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

It was around that I'm sure, as it was painfully icy to hold my hand in front for anything but a few seconds.

But when it's cold outside, your AC only has to cool the incoming air a few degrees to get it down to that and even a knackered, low gas AC system could probably manage that, which is why I was wondering if there was a way to test it would be able to cool down that much on a 30C day rather than waiting 3 months for one to occur (by which time Nissan could say yes your AC is knackered but it's happened since you bought it from us).

Thinking about it since my lunchtime test, I could probably drive around and get the car nice and hot inside with the heater, then switch the AC to lo and set it to recirculate the internal air not bring any in from outside, that should do it?
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T