1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Mine is now officially on a 1,000 mile test with a recorded oil level.
The dealer couldn't find any leaks (not surprising).
DashCam in the car does give interesting insights into the world of mechanics.
Nissan no more...

bigk

Post by bigk »

pmg wrote:I'm still awaiting a 1.2 replacement due to oil loss.

Interesting discussion about the bore and piston tolerances. Is it conceivable that with further mileage these bed in due to heat and expansion ?

I had 1litre of oil used over 3500 miles but the last 2000 miles the oil doesn't appear to have moved (still 5 bars showing in the dash readout)
I don't seem to have a dash readout on my 64 reg Ntec+ 1.2Dig-t. Also, can't see anything about low oil warning lights in the owners manual. I presume that there would be some kind of warning in the event of a low oil level! Any ideas?
QQ 1.2 CONNECT With Panoramic Sunroof Vivid Blue December 2017
bigk

Post by bigk »

bigk wrote:
pmg wrote:I'm still awaiting a 1.2 replacement due to oil loss.

Interesting discussion about the bore and piston tolerances. Is it conceivable that with further mileage these bed in due to heat and expansion ?

I had 1litre of oil used over 3500 miles but the last 2000 miles the oil doesn't appear to have moved (still 5 bars showing in the dash readout)
I don't seem to have a dash readout on my 64 reg Ntec+ 1.2Dig-t. Also, can't see anything about low oil warning lights in the owners manual. I presume that there would be some kind of warning in the event of a low oil level! Any ideas?

Anybody with any answers, please? I don't know about anybody else but I'm so used to NOT checking the oil anymore because most modern cars(certainly all the cars I have had in recent years) never use any oil from one service to the next. In the bad old days and especially if you had an old banger when you first started driving (as I did and for many years after) you needed to check oil after every trip and every time you filled up with fuel but times have moved on and having to top up with oil between services should be a thing of the past, otherwise, why have such long intervals between services?

Anyway, I would appreciate answers to my initial query. Many thanks
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

The QQ 1.2 DIG-T engine does not have an oil level read out but does have an oil pressure light when oil pressure drops below a set threshold.

The oil pressure light should not be used as an oil level light, and if the light comes other than for a second or 2 during start-up then damage to the engine could already be occurring. If the light comes on during normal operation, then you should seek to stop the engine as quickly and investigate.

I understand the Juke and Pulsar do have an oil level indicator so PMG could have one of those cars rather than a QQ.

Regardless of oil loss or not, regular checks should be made to the oil level as a fault can suddenly occur which results in oil loss. My dealer advises of people having done this and ending up with damaged engines.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Yeah, sorry for any confusion I do have a Juke as opposed to a QQ
bigk

Post by bigk »

Thanks for your replies. As I said in my previous post, I am so used to new cars never using any oil from one service to the next that I have got out of the habit of checking the level manually and instead relied on electronic prompts if the level was to drop too low (which it never has before having had a good number of new cars over the past 30yrs). So with that said, because of this thread I checked the oil level at 5800 miles and to my horror found the level to be below the minimum mark. No warning lights etc have come on to let me know this so it's probably just above the level where the low oil pressure light comes on! The car runs perfectly with no funny noises! The exhaust is sooty but I don't know If this is relevant (it doesn't look particularly oily, just sooty!).

I contacted my dealer who wants me to take it in on Friday to do a few checks (don't know what this will entail), top up with oil and then monitor.

They are aware of problems with the 1.2Dig-t engine via an article in the press but say they have not had any complaints prior to mine (up to now!).

I would advise anybody who does not manually check their oil on a regular basis (i bet there are loads like me) to do so even if your previous vehicles never used any oil.

I must admit that this issue has dampened my enthusiasm for the car even though I have loved it up to now. It has put doubts in my mind as to its reliability. I expect more from a car costing over £20k.

Only time will tell as to whether Nissan and the dealer can sort this problem out (if in fact there is a problem) but the fact that people are talking about engine replacements doesn't fill me full of confidence!

I wonder if the 1.6 Dig-t engine is/will be similarly affected and is this excess oil usage isolated or common?
Splink

Post by Splink »

bigk wrote:The exhaust is sooty but I don't know If this is relevant (it doesn't look particularly oily, just sooty!)
The exhaust rim on mine also has a sooty deep black appearance.
1.2 DIG-T Acenta 2014
bigk

Post by bigk »

Perhaps they all look like that but from experience I would have expected more of a brown colour especially if you do long journeys (as opposed to town work) as I do. My other car (DS3) has no soot or residue round the exhaust. Anyway, I will see what the garage says tomorrow. Watch this space!
Muiramas

Post by Muiramas »

My 1.2 xtronic is due a service soon. It has used about 2 litres of oil over 12k miles, which seems a little on the high side. I'll see what the dealer says. I dont really have a reference for this type of engine though. Previous car was an audi 2.0 fsi, which is a direct injection engine also, but that used less than half as much oil.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Hi guys
Had my new 1.2 dig-t engine fitted last week and collected the vehicle on 13th October, hope this is the end of what
I consider to be a long drawn out saga which started last December. As I previously mentioned had problems with a cell
In the battery going down before the new engine fit , this has now also been replaced under warranty .
I am now looking forward to some uneventful motoring .