1.2 engine rattles at just over 2000rpm

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

30,000 mile service, a young un eh? mines been round the clock 3 times already
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors

Apple Jack

Post by Apple Jack »

The problem with this noise is it's more of a nasty engine rattle - not just the annoying kind (I've got one of those in the rear passenger door) this is more a `uh-oh, something's going to go bang eventually` noise. Think timing belt rattle and you'll get the idea.Checked the screws in the first two of Monkeywba's suggestions and that's made no difference. Going to have to give suggestion 3 a try when I have more time this weekend.If all else fails I think my latest drive caught the sound on the dashcam. Think I'll have to give it to the Technician, but to be honest it's so pronounced that the wife can even hear it (and she's usually oblivious to things like that) so they should have been able to.
Apple Jack

Post by Apple Jack »

Check that other point before it got dark tonight - it's made no difference as everything under the air intake / box is firmly fixed together.Here's the video from earlier which gives an idea of how it sounds - it's a steep gradient but I chose that area because it was a quiet side street to catch the noise. The car does the exact same thing on the flat.[TUBE"]]Vk5vxVX9JwI[/TUBE"]]
kinelfire

Post by kinelfire »

Cant really hear anything there but is it maybe a heatshield, the cause of many a rattle on many cars. If its a tinny type of rattle that may be your answer
Cafe Latte 2010 1.5 n-tec. then 2013 Black 1.5 360+2
jj8201985

Post by jj8201985 »

I seem to be having the same exact problem with my QQ 1.2. I will try and post video and share the link here. I leave in a mountainous area and the noise seems to come around 2000rpm and goes away when it reaches around 3000rpm +. Been trying to get the dealers to hear the sound for weeks but it does not make the sound at all times. It does not seem to be the heat shields cause if it were then the sound would be consistently there even at lower rpms and more tinny. I live in Seychelles in mountainous areas and it mainly does the noise uphill and sometimes even on flats at the stated rpms. The noise is the same frequency although speed varies and also happens mainly when i drive uphill after having the car rested for hours. I am going to have the car checked this coming monday at dealers and will keep you posted.
jj82019852015-05-16 07:17:32
Apple Jack

Post by Apple Jack »

[quote="kinelfire"]Cant really hear anything there but is it maybe a heatshield, the cause of many a rattle on many cars. If its a tinny type of rattle that may be your answer[/QUOTE]It's clearly there for me just over the sound of the engine accelerating ay at 3 - 8 seconds in and then again at 15-17 seconds.I'll try and get under the car and see what the heatshield is doing but I'd expect it to be more of a constant thing if it was that?[quote="jj8201985"]I am going to have the car checked this coming monday at dealers and will keep you posted.
[/QUOTE]
Nice to hear I'm not alone with this problem - I'll be interested to hear what they find as it will give me an idea of where to point the garage for sorting mine out.
Apple Jack

Post by Apple Jack »

As no one else has commented on the video I'm guessing no one else can hear anything? Just so I can arm myself with enough info when I speak to the garage about this, can people with the 1.2 engine confirm if they can hear the Turbo `whoosh` when they accelerate and, if so, at what revs?Thanks
kinelfire

Post by kinelfire »

[quote="Apple Jack"][quote="kinelfire"]Cant really hear anything there but is it maybe a heatshield, the cause of many a rattle on many cars. If its a tinny type of rattle that may be your answer[/QUOTE]It's clearly there for me just over the sound of the engine accelerating ay at 3 - 8 seconds in and then again at 15-17 seconds.I'll try and get under the car and see what the heatshield is doing but I'd expect it to be more of a constant thing if it was that?[quote="jj8201985"]I am going to have the car checked this coming monday at dealers and will keep you posted.
[/QUOTE]
Nice to hear I'm not alone with this problem - I'll be interested to hear what they find as it will give me an idea of where to point the garage for sorting mine out.[/QUOTE]Any car I've had with a heatsheild rattle has tended to be at a certain amount of revs not constant.
Cafe Latte 2010 1.5 n-tec. then 2013 Black 1.5 360+2
Jhare

Post by Jhare »

I can hear a small "whoosh" from the turbo on mine when I have been accelerating hard and then come off the pedal. Very quiet and can't hear it over the radio though.
2014 Tekna 1.2 DIG-T in Magnetic Red
Parky

Post by Parky »

Well I not impressed 1000 miles on the clock on my qq 1.2 n tec + high oil usage also engine rattle low revs been visit dealer twice tech says it's acceptable I don't think so I ve started my own to research I wounder if. This unit is based on renualt engine 1.2 tce anyone else had oil problems