1.2 engine rattles at just over 2000rpm

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Apple Jack

Post by Apple Jack »

Hi all - just joined even though I've been lurking for a while.Had my new Qashqai for just over two months and (apart from an annoying door rattle) everything was great... until last week.My 1.2's engine has started to rattle at just over 2000 rpm. It's not noticeable in 1st, but anything above 2nd gear when accelerating you can definitely hear it. It doesn't do it when idling or at any other point.I've taken it back into the dealership who are telling me their diagnostics show nothing. The technician claims he can't hear it, but lo-and-behold I get in the car and it's still doing it.Just trying to gauge if anyone else's does this and if the engine is actually supposed to sound this way?

Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

I had the same, it was the air filter ducting/ box there was three rattles.
1, air box lid on air box housing ( one screw on top fixed this)
2, the join in the air pipe ducting in the middle ( one screw on top fixed this)
3, the front intake of the air pipe ducting ( removed plastic clips and put 2 small foam padding pieces between the plastic ducting and the body work then put the plastic clips back)

It has been documented on here before.
Hope this helps?!?!
Apple Jack

Post by Apple Jack »

Thanks - Will definately give those a try and see if they sort it (fingers crossed)
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

I also think sometimes a rattle can be more of a source of irritation and once in your mind it will not go away. I hear a plasticy rattle when reversing which then goes off when going forward. I have asked my wife, my son and mentioned it to the dealer when at the first service and no one can here it.I gave my neighbour a lift to collect her car earlier in the week, I asked her if she could here it and she said no, despite me doing a reverse deliberately six times, she still heard nothing.Sadly I think once these things get into your mind, you just always listen out for them, and your mind can over exaggerate the problem.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
omegadeep

Post by omegadeep »

I have a solution for those sorts of rattles: I turn the radio on
A car is just a set of four wheels and four seats to enable one to travel from a to b. all other perceptions are individual illusions of the thought process.
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

[quote="omegadeep"]
I have a solution for those sorts of rattles: I turn the radio on [/QUOTE]
I can't here the radio or the reverse rattle when my wife gets into full on mode
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

I second that! Women, can't live with them, but can't live without them! Monkeywba2015-05-15 11:17:17
Wheelie Bealie

Post by Wheelie Bealie »

You can't sell them on eBay either
2014 1.5dCi Tekna (Manual)
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

Welllll maybe I'll av to give that ago! Lol
omegadeep

Post by omegadeep »

My wife needs a 30,000 mile service, but that's another story
A car is just a set of four wheels and four seats to enable one to travel from a to b. all other perceptions are individual illusions of the thought process.