1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Kostas007

Post by Kostas007 »

Hey Guys,

What oil thickness are you using for the 1.2DIG-T 5w30 or 5w40?

And is anyone hearing any whistling sounds (light whistling) when you have the windows down?

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

5w30 is used.

I suspect 5w40 maybe the fix, I mean bodge...!
ragna

Post by ragna »

If you go on the Castrol web site the advise Castrol Edge 0w-40 A3/B4 for the 1.2 DIG-T. Mine went in for 1st service today at 9915 miles and i informed the dealer that i had used approx 1ltr of oil since collecting the car from new they stated that this was normal for this mileage. But when i collected the car from new i didnt check the oil for some time so IF it had been over filled i may have used more oil. Will keep a close eye on it from now on.
2014 QQ 1.2 Accenta Premium, Storm White
Davo

Post by Davo »

I think that there could be be damage being caused to the exhaust system If these 1.2 engines are burning oil at 1lt approximately every 1000 miles. Nissan should consider replacing the exhaust system on all vehicles that they have agreed to replace the engines on .it seems these engines aren't fit for doing the job they are designed for, so maybe Nissan should consider a refund ,
Deleted User 759

Under sales of goods act you have up to 6 months from initially taking ownership of the car (or any other product) to reject the car if there is a defect. You can also accept a repair/replacement.

After 6 months, then its up to the dealer to offer you a refund, but their legal right is to offer a repair or replacement. As a car is modular, AND (and I think this is the crucial point here), the dealer gets paid by Nissan to do the warranty work (although not the initial inspection unless Nissan authorise it), so the dealer is in a win win situation on both the sale and warranty work.

This is why we are seeing dealers putting people off even within the first 6 months for getting a refund despite being legally allowed it!

AS for further damage down the exhaust, the only 2 things that could be harmed is the cat converters and the o2 sensors. Both of these wont fail quickly and will be outside of the warranty period before they do die early because of contamination. You can try and push it but I think it will be difficult.

I also think Castrol website is wrong. A3/A4 is the wrong oil and needs to be a DPF type oil (c3). Go and take a look at the FAQ section where this was discussed at length. Link here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1960
Kostas007

Post by Kostas007 »

So whats the verdict ?

HR2DDT engine:
Genuine NISSAN engine oil
5w30API SL or SMILSAC grade GF-3 or GF-4
ACEA A1/B1, A3,B4, A5/B5, C2 or C3

Do we use 5w30 which is lighter oil for our engine(max performance) or 5w40 more sluggish but more protective ? for our DIG-T 1.2 Engines?

From what I see DPF 10w/40 KE900-90032or42 is mainly for Diesel engines. see below link.
http://www4.total.fr/pdf/elf-lubricants ... re2012.pdf

And to throw in a formal reply from local TOTAL representative quote... "Concerning the products suitable for your vehicle, the most valid criteria to choose is the OEM specifications, in your case NISSAN’s. Therefore, on the top of our suggestions we will place the genuine oil NISSAN MOTOR OIL 5W40." unquote.
Deleted User 759

This is not the thread about which oil to use, but is about oil loss....
Kostas007

Post by Kostas007 »

True but not totally off topic... someone can argue wrong oil used may cause engine oil loss..
Ok maybe exaggerating a little bit....
bone_tone

Post by bone_tone »

Using the wrong oil can affect oil loss, and can cause terminal damage to the engine - I believe Ford got caught out with this when they first introduced the Ecoboost engines, as dealers were filling with wrong oil at service time, causing a string of failures. I would stick to using the oil specified in the handbook if you want to avoid invalidating your warranty!
Kostas007

Post by Kostas007 »

Well there you go....