1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Had a call from the dealer (who had a call from Simon at the directors office....)

Nothing new, however we discussed the "wrong piston" problem that Nissan have admitted to. It is suggested that this isn't down to a case of say using the 1.6 piston in the 1.2 engine, its more about tolerances. Some engines have a slightly bigger bore, some slightly smaller than the size target. Same with the pistons and other parts. They try and match up a larger bore with a larger piston, and a smaller bore with a smaller piston.

What may have happened is that a smaller piston (although within tolerance) was installed into an engine with a larger (again, within tolerance) bore. We are talking really small differences, but it could be enough to result in some oil loss.

He advised that there was a bulletin that is re-calling 15 engines, most of which are engines which have been sent to dealers on crates. There was no reason given other than they need to be sent back, or removed from cars if they have been installed and a new engine installed.

He did confirm that the Pulsar 1.2 DIG-T appears to be affected by the oil loss issue as well as the Juke and QQ. He hasn't got a clue other than a personal opinion as to what it could be (will keep it off the forum for now as its just an educated guess as to what the fault maybe).

pmg

Post by pmg »

I'm still awaiting a 1.2 replacement due to oil loss.

Interesting discussion about the bore and piston tolerances. Is it conceivable that with further mileage these bed in due to heat and expansion ?

I had 1litre of oil used over 3500 miles but the last 2000 miles the oil doesn't appear to have moved (still 5 bars showing in the dash readout)
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

pmg wrote:I'm still awaiting a 1.2 replacement due to oil loss.

Interesting discussion about the bore and piston tolerances. Is it conceivable that with further mileage these bed in due to heat and expansion ?

I had 1litre of oil used over 3500 miles but the last 2000 miles the oil doesn't appear to have moved (still 5 bars showing in the dash readout)
Yours is the reverse of mine and more in-line with what I've experienced with my other cars (all be it they were all diesels on long service oil).

On this particular car:-

First 12 months (6K miles or so) it used no oil.
Since service (4 months - 2.5K miles) it's used half a litre.

The fact Nissan know there are issues with oil consumption on this engine over multiple vehicles is interesting.
Do they all produce the same BHP / are turbocharged Splank (anyone else)?
I do sometimes wonder if they are really pushing the edge of what you can get out of an engine without causing other issues.

I'm also starting to wonder if the oil that my car originally came with is different to what the dealer has used and possibly responsible for the new "consumption" issue.

The service desk quoted me as needing 5W/40 fully synthetic when i asked what i should be buying.
This seemed to be based on what the computer spat out as it was apparent they didn't know themselves.
Nissan no more...
Deleted User 759

I think the 1.2 DIG-T between models has tweaked performance for that model/gearbox, although they will be the same overall engine. There maybe slightly different 'bolt ons' as well. And yes, DIG-T models are all direct injection/turbo engines.

As for pushing the edge, 115hp from a 1.2 engine isn't really pushing the limits in my opinion, and the turbo is spitting out 12psi (no idea on flow rate through...). Engines are designed with "warranty" in mind and are tuned to a suitable level. This is why you can often re-tune an engine with just a quick remap to get more out of it without having to change anything! Not forgetting that it will only run at 12psi if you stick your foot right down, my data logger suggests the boost pressure is delivered in 4psi increments depending on how far you mash the loud medal into the carpet (so 4/8/12psi...). This is with an electronic data logger, not don't anything with a mechanical reader to verify that. Stepped boost pressure is not unusual though.

I know the Ford 3cyl Ecoboost 1.0 engine is running 24psi to deliver its ~140hp... now that's starting to push into higher stress territory. Saying that, Ford's seem to love high boost levels to get high HP. A mate of mine has a Focus RS and is pushing 30ish PSI through the engine, but not really getting daft HP like you would get from a Jap engine....

5/30 is recommended in the handbook (if I recall), but gives a range of others depending on how the engine is used.
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Probably didn't explain myself very well re: the engine.
I meant is there a 1.2 Dig-S or equivalent non turbo variant and does it have the same issue?

As to the oil i still find it puzzling the book suggests 5/30 but my dealer is recommending 5/40 as standard.
I've certainly never had a conversation about driving "style" so I'm unsure why they'd decide to go "off piste" with regards to servicing.
Nissan no more...
Deleted User 759

My 1.2 DIG-S Micra is loosing no oil, and nobody else has reported loss either. Saying that, the DIG-S (supercharged) is a less popular engine despite it being immense fun and people seem to be going for the N/A1.2 which is your run of the mill low power, no frills engine... again no mention of oil loss on the Micra sports club.

Saying that, the DIG-S is a wildly different engine compared to the DIG-T or even the N/A1.2, being a 3cyl and runs on a miller cycle rather than otto cycle.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Apparently my engine has arrived at the dealers although the dealer has yet to contact me, hopefully it's a good one.

Have been discussing at length about a replacement car as opposed to a replacement engine but seem to be getting no where with anyone. Nissan basically say to both dealer and finance company that they will not support a replacement car. Obviously the dealer could do something but it would be at their loss and they are highly unlikely to do that.

So it seems i need to have the engine replaced and hope that is the end of the issue, which it may be, you never know.

Funny thing is that over the last 2000 miles it doesn't appear to have used any more oil
Davo

Post by Davo »

Hi guys
Could not start my car Friday, sounded like it was trying to run on 2 cylinders?, called out the RAC
who found I now have a faulty battery which needs to be replaced ( only 18 mths old). Apparently the low voltage startup plays havoc with the electronics , hence the lumpy running .
Anyway Saturday morning had a call from my dealership advising me that a new engine has now
arrived for my 1.2 Dig-t . I understand it's a EU 6 type engine which replaces the original EU 5 ,
Anyone know what the difference or advantage is of the unit?
Engine being fitted on Monday I hope.
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Davo wrote:Hi guys
Could not start my car Friday, sounded like it was trying to run on 2 cylinders?, called out the RAC
who found I now have a faulty battery which needs to be replaced ( only 18 mths old). Apparently the low voltage startup plays havoc with the electronics , hence the lumpy running .
Anyway Saturday morning had a call from my dealership advising me that a new engine has now
arrived for my 1.2 Dig-t . I understand it's a EU 6 type engine which replaces the original EU 5 ,
Anyone know what the difference or advantage is of the unit?
Engine being fitted on Monday I hope.
Battery issue Happened to mine at around 14 months.
The Fiamm batteries are known to have had a problem. I think one of the Cells failed to the point it was resisting charge on mine.
As to the engine.

I think the euro 6 tweaks the "pollution" values (NoX and CO2) and little else.
Nissan no more...
Splink

Post by Splink »

The Pulsar also seems to have oil loss. At least one cause seems to be known.
http://www.pulsarforums.co.uk/viewtopic ... t=109#p323
1.2 DIG-T Acenta 2014