Noisy over 30mph

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Mcd2611

Post by Mcd2611 »

I have a petrol qashqai 1.6 but when i drive over 30mph i get a very loud noise in car sounding like the exhast has burst this has been checked and is in good condition. Car runs perfect apart from this very loud annoying noise what can it be?

Muiramas

Post by Muiramas »

Mcd2611 wrote:I have a petrol qashqai 1.6 but when i drive over 30mph i get a very loud noise in car sounding like the exhast has burst this has been checked and is in good condition. Car runs perfect apart from this very loud annoying noise what can it be?
Is the noise aliased to engine RPM or speed?

Could be something loose which makes a sound due to resonance / vibration?
paplane

Post by paplane »

Mcd2611 wrote:I have a petrol qashqai 1.6 but when i drive over 30mph i get a very loud noise in car sounding like the exhast has burst this has been checked and is in good condition. Car runs perfect apart from this very loud annoying noise what can it be?
I have this too on my 1.2 (14 plate, 15k miles). It most definitely sounds like the exhaust is blowing somehow - I've owned enough rubbish cars in my life to know what one of them sounds like. Mine's been been back to dealer twice now. First time they did an airbox fix and suggested it would be that. It wasn't.

Second time it went back and frustratingly the noise had disappeared so they couldn't hear it. They told me it may need to get worse before they can identify what it is. Their only advice was to ensure that the oil level is constantly at max. which is concerning as that would imply that the noise could be fundamentally engine related.

Here are my symptoms:

It happens between 2/2.5k revs, regardless of gear and only when the engine is under strain, i.e. not when coasting. It's worse when cold for a few minutes until the engine is up to temperature. When warm it then returns after a sustained period of running @ say a run of 20mins @50mph.

I'm now monitoring my oil usage as per other threads on here but that doesn't seem to be excessive so far.

Are these the same as you?
manfong

Post by manfong »

Hi Paplane have you found out what that noise is yet? my qashqai make a similar noise too, took it back to nissan and they said it was the turbo. They told me all the 1.2 dig-t make that noise.
I am sure it wasn't there when i first got the car, it sound like a split hose or something.
paplane

Post by paplane »

manfong wrote:Hi Paplane have you found out what that noise is yet? my qashqai make a similar noise too, took it back to nissan and they said it was the turbo. They told me all the 1.2 dig-t make that noise.
I am sure it wasn't there when i first got the car, it sound like a split hose or something.
Its booked to go back in again next week so I'll let you know.
manfong

Post by manfong »

Hi paplane have you found out what that noise is?
cheers.
paplane

Post by paplane »

manfong wrote:Hi paplane have you found out what that noise is?
cheers.
It went in last week and this time I drove the car with them from cold to demonstrate the noise to them. The mechanic accepted that it didn't sound right when he heard it. They kept it all day and when I picked it up later they suggested the fault had been fixed by them adjusting a loose air conditioning pipe. To my frustration this did absolutely nothing to fix the problem! They've got it back today and this time they're keeping it until the matter is resolved. Them keeping it will allow them to test drive it properly from cold after feel they have fixed the issue.

I've got no complaints about them and they're being pretty good with me so hope they get to the bottom of it this time.
paplane

Post by paplane »

paplane wrote:
manfong wrote:Hi paplane have you found out what that noise is?
cheers.
It went in last week and this time I drove the car with them from cold to demonstrate the noise to them. The mechanic accepted that it didn't sound right when he heard it. They kept it all day and when I picked it up later they suggested the fault had been fixed by them adjusting a loose air conditioning pipe. To my frustration this did absolutely nothing to fix the problem! They've got it back today and this time they're keeping it until the matter is resolved. Them keeping it will allow them to test drive it properly from cold after feel they have fixed the issue.

I've got no complaints about them and they're being pretty good with me so hope they get to the bottom of it this time.
So,if anyone's interested, I got my car back today after leaving it with them for the best part of 3 weeks while they figured out what was wrong. I'm pleased to say that this time I think they've fixed it. I drove it from cold this morning and it was as quiet as a mouse.

While it was in they tried a few unspecified fixes without success but eventually received the go ahead from Nissan Technical to remove the dash and investigate. After doing so they discovered an issue with the 'heater box' . Apparently some kind of foam baffle thing was missing from it. They said they could see visual evidence of the fault causing the noise and suggested that the baffle should have been installed on the assembly line but wasn't. Great eh?

After they found the fault I then had to wait a few days until they received the new part and reassembled the interior but it's all done now and I'm really pleased as I'd convinced myself from reading the other threads on here that the engine was broken.

It was like driving a big armchair around today after 3 weeks in a courtesy Micra :lol:
Agup

Post by Agup »

Hi,

I got the same problem and it was solved by the local Nissan dealer. The problem was in a loose metal plate between the exhaust tube and the body ou the car (in the middle). This plate prevents the heat from the exhaust to be transfered to the cabin.

There is another noise issue but it happens even when the car is stopped (with the engine running). This comes from the air admission tube. It is a combination of 2 or 3 pieces and the joint needs tape to make a tight fit.