1.5 dCi Engine Oil

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Didn't check as I ddn't have anything to wipe the stick with so just chucked half of it in. Warning came on again on the way home so I've put almost all of the rest in - keep forgetting to check before I set off

I probably do drive it hard - living in lumpy Wales you don't have much choice! Treated it well since new though and didn't go over the top for the first 1500 miles or so.

I'll keep an eye

Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

You've obviously not considered that it could be a faulty sensor? The dipstick is there for a reason and it is rather odd that the light came on after you added a quantity of extra oil.
I live in Wales too. Some 30 miles North West of Carmarthen, right by the coast near Aberaeron.
Crispyjay

Post by Crispyjay »

rod9669 wrote:My September 2015 1.5 DCi came up with a low oil level warning on the dash today - only got 8775 on the clock. Went to the main stealers and they reckoned that that wasn't abnormal. Bought 1l of Nissan branded 5W30 DPF for £10.00

Anyone else getting this high useage?
Yes. My Feb 2016 1.5DCi did the same yesterday with 8045 miles on the clock. Checked oil and it is near minimum.
RVW

Post by RVW »

Just dipped the stick on my 1.5dci Tekna! It's done just under 2000 miles since new and the stick indicates the oil level is half way between max and min. At this rate it's going to reach the min mark around 4000 miles, Should I be worried?
Maybe worth pointing it out to the stealer just to log my concerns? Thoughts please.
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Was it at max to start with? Oil level should ideally be halfway between min and max. When it drops to min it needs topping up a bit; if it's at max it's approaching the "slightly overfilled" level but is ok as long as no more is added. The normal operating range is in between. Just keep an eye on it!
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
RVW

Post by RVW »

Never had any problems with all my other new cars.
Have just dipped it again but cold after an overnight stand and the level is about 3 mm below the max. As you say it's better to be below the max mark than above.
Will just have to keep me eye on it.
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red
qashqai666

Post by qashqai666 »

RVW wrote:Just dipped the stick on my 1.5dci Tekna! It's done just under 2000 miles since new and the stick indicates the oil level is half way between max and min. At this rate it's going to reach the min mark around 4000 miles, Should I be worried?
Maybe worth pointing it out to the stealer just to log my concerns? Thoughts please.
Just checked mine and it is near minimum after 4000 miles , as for a previous comment about the ideal level being halfway , can't think of any good reason for this to be honest , no external leaks and no smoke from exhaust .....
Hound

Post by Hound »

qashqai666 wrote:...as for a previous comment about the ideal level being halfway , can't think of any good reason for this to be honest...
The clue was in the comment, but I'll explain.

Oil expands when heated. It heats a lot when the engine is working. If it's filled to the max and then expands, it can adversely affect your engine. If you overfill, it can result in PCV rebreathing through the intake, and you also get oil coming into contact with the crankshaft, which is called windage. This tends to aerate the oil, causing potential catastrophic failure due to a reduction in the oil pump's ability to send it to all the vital parts of the engine. Foaming at the crankshaft creates lower pressure; lower pressure means lower engine output. And engines frequently consume more oil if the oil level is too high.

Being at the "max" level is not exactly overfilling, but it gives little room for expansion. The engine is designed so that its operation is optimised with the oil between those two levels, so halfway is a sensible place to be. However three quarters won't hurt either if that's your thing!

Correct oil level is especially important on smaller engines, particularly motorcycle engines where performance is definitely affected because the volume of oil creates a resonance within the engine. These engines often have an oil sight glass rather than a dipstick and the recommendation is keep the oil halfway up. Of course bike engines get tilted more than car engines as well.

SV650_91.jpg

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Hi Hound,

Your reply sounds like u know really your stuff, which makes me uncomfortable with this statement.
Hound wrote: Being at the "max" level is not exactly overfilling, but it gives little room for expansion. The engine is designed so that its operation is optimised with the oil between those two levels, so halfway is a sensible place to be. However three quarters won't hurt either if that's your thing
The Engine is designed to be filled to the max level, mid level or anywhere between the max / min. The engine breaths to atmosphere, so its not exactly going to pop if the oil expands when hot at the full mark. Hot or cold, the difference in volume between the two will be minimal. After all, the engine has been designed to be used by people with none or very poor understanding of thermal dynamics.

I believe from past knowledge, the hot oil part is the fact that the level is checked when the reciprocating element of the oil in the engine has had time to drain to the sump and the possibility then of over filling is removed.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Daewar wrote:The Engine is designed to be filled to the max level, mid level or anywhere between the max / min. The engine breaths to atmosphere, so its not exactly going to pop if the oil expands when hot at the full mark. Hot or cold, the difference in volume between the two will be minimal. After all, the engine has been designed to be used by people with none or very poor understanding of thermal dynamics.

I believe from past knowledge, the hot oil part is the fact that the level is checked when the reciprocating element of the oil in the engine has had time to drain to the sump and the possibility then of over filling is removed.
Indeed! But I was always told that keeping between min and max gave the most sensible safety margin if the engine was likely to take any exception to an excess of oil. It's a bit like Goldilocks and the porridge: not too hot, not too cold, in the middle just right :)

We all know the engine won't suddenly disintegrate just because you're on the "min" mark either, as engines are to a degree tolerant (probably more so than when I was taught the above). My points were cautionary - it's unlikely to have immediate horrible effects either if filled to "max" *. But if the level is in the operating range - and, logically, in between those two points - it removes doubt, which is why I suggested it as an optimal level to keep for reference.

I worked with police vehicles (mostly bikes) which were often giving a good caning :o so measures that might seem overcautious to some were adhered to a bit more strictly.

* unless you happen to be riding a police-equipped Honda ST1300