Diesel acceleration query

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Shamiso14

Post by Shamiso14 »

Hi guys,

I have a new QQ 1.5dci and I'm loving it. Done just under 2800 miles. Here's a question, has anyone with a diesel experienced a very slight lag when you want to accelerate quicker than usual from say a roundabout or joining a busy road? It's noticeable and does recover.
I drive mainly in London and suburbs but every weekend I'm on the motorway. I was thinking DPF issues but this bank holiday I was in North Wales and I could smell the regeneration working. (I've assumed it was regen as somebody else described the smell and interval period).
Any insight will be much appreciated.

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Not me; some with CVT models, have had "delay" issues.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Shamiso14

Post by Shamiso14 »

Thanks gel. I've never driven a diesel so wondered if this was a typical characteristic.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Its a heavy car for what is a relatively small diesel unit. If you want, or need to pull away quickly you really do have to floor the gas pedal. In second gear and above as you increase the pressure on the accelerator you will feel the turbo kick in.
The lack of oomph in first gear is something that you will adjust and become accustomed to.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

1.6dCi with a CVT here. No lag for me since I turned off the "Eco" mode, and to be honest it wasn't really a lag or delay, just less responsive.
Maybe it's more pronounced on the 1.5.

So it was you I could smell. was it? :D
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
rudie18uk

Post by rudie18uk »

Hi,
I too have a QQ 1.5 dci 2014 plate and I have experienced the same as you, short lag when I turn a corner into a hill.Takes a few seconds to kick in and accelerate.
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

Like all diesels, you have to 'drive' them, just drop a gear.
switchback

Post by switchback »

The lag is probably the difference between being on or off boost. With my 1.6 diesel you need to keep it either on or off boost for smooth acceleration or be very light on the pedal as the revs increase. Keep the revs a bit higher in each gear so when you change up it's still on boost in the next gear. Around 1600 to 1700RPM seems to be the lower end of the boost range. For economy and slow driving you can keep it lower but as soon as you decide to accelerate harder the turbo spins up and the cars takes off................................ :o
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

i have the 1.6 automatic and it frightened me at first with the delay, now i have done 7,600km and the response has adjusted itselfe and is ok and i dont worey at all now. as for a small engine mine is 130bhp and 320 neutons so power wise its very high. oh insidently if i drive very gently even when its cold and park the rad fan comes on but if i use a few revs before i park the fan doesnt come on. i think it is the turbo hot that needs spinning with air to cool, anyway if it comes on i restart and rev a bit and it stops it. i say this because it would stay on for 5 mins or so and plays hell up with the stop start.
brian
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Turbo or CVT gearbox lag. The same applies to the 1.2 and 1.6 petrol engines.

For a manual, if you don't give it a bit of beans before pulling the clutch up, there wont be enough exhaust gas going through the turbo to spin it, leaving you bogged down for longer than expected.

CVT boxes can be a bit laggy but the engine should be able to increase rpm and not really bog down that much.