1.6 dig-t ecu update/recall

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Ricky, mines a 1.5dci. 1st gear is on the low side, other gears are fine. 18 months or so back, someone suggested that the turbo may be taking too long to spool up before kicking in, and providing less boost in the lower gears to prevent over revving/red lining.

Dw350zQQ

Post by Dw350zQQ »

This is it.

Gun Metal Grey J11 2015 Qashqai 1.6 DIG-T Tekna. Chrome wing mirrors. Crossover pack. Chrome front lip. Chrome rear tail gate trim.
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

My letter above arrived today. Same thing. Had 2 recalls on my juke now 1 on the qq.

I am booked early September for health check I'll get it done then
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Hi Guys,
Thank you very much Dw350zQQ for posting the recall letter... and yes, snap....I had the same letter today!
But I doubt it will make a jot of difference to our 'flat spot' problem?

I have been thinking about the comment from gvmdaddy, concerning how the turbo does not work well at low revs and low power....and I have come to the same conclusion that this must be the problem. I have always driven normally aspirated petrol engines (non turbo) which have a better overall torque distribution. However, the power gain from having the turbo is tremendous and I would rate the 1.6 Dig-T as being an equivalent 2.3 L with its 168 PS. It really is a stonking little engine! The problem with it is I guess having the typical characteristics of a turbo ....which is turbo lag!
I did think this would only apply at the higher power bands...but it is also obvious that at lower revs and low power the turbo is just not working at all! With no power flowing through the system the restriction of the compressor parts in the manifolds is a bit like stuffing a potato up the exhaust pipe and another one in the inlet manifold. Only when the power flows freely is there any positive feedback in power gain.

I have noticed that when stationary at traffic lights the engine revs drop down to about 600 RPM, then simply depressing the clutch (before engaging 1st gear), they rise to about 800 RPM, ( i.e. without even touching the throttle pedal). I guess this is an attempt by the ECU to coach the turbo into some action at least before trying to engage the drive train? With this approach in mind, I am now experimenting with a technique of just blipping the throttle before engaging 1st gear to try and spool up the turbo a bit faster...and so far, I have to say, it does seem to help achieve a smoother pull away without the normal 'hiccup' start!.

I will let you know if I can perfect the technique a bit further?
R
QQ1234

Post by QQ1234 »

Yes same letter here...not booked in yet.
I also have an issue with the pull away "flat spot" but it would seem this ecm update will not do anything for that. The turbo kicks in at 2000 rpm and you can hear it like a "boom" sound when the revs pick up. At which point, ironically, the car tells you to change gear.(If you have the display on that setting).
Ive also nearly stalled on pull away and the car tried to prevent the stall and the "start stop" kicked in. It leaves you sitting there not knowing whats going on.
Its probably better revving it more on pull away rather than dipping the clutch though.
QQ 2015 1.6 Dig-T Gun Metal
Mods so far: LED interior lights, Side steps, Spare wheel, PIAA twin horns, Boot entry protector, Vinyl sill protection.
Dw350zQQ

Post by Dw350zQQ »

Interesting my Turbo kicks in at about 2700 rpm!
Gun Metal Grey J11 2015 Qashqai 1.6 DIG-T Tekna. Chrome wing mirrors. Crossover pack. Chrome front lip. Chrome rear tail gate trim.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Turbo engines are notorious for having lower low end grunt and you cant compare NA engines to turbo engines directly as by design, the characteristics are different. Although I don't have a 1.6 DIG T, I do have the 1.2DIG-T (4 pot in the QQ), and the same comments have been made against the 1.2DIG-T, yet I have no problem with the power delivery and had simply adjusted my driving style to match the characteristics of this engine compared to my older 1.5 NA Almera, or my 1.2 DIG-S Micra.

When you talk about 'flat spots', this tends to be when you have a power delivery through the rev range, but part way through the power either drops off, or does not increase before sorting itself out and increasing again further up the rev range. This used to be a characteristic of some earlier Nissan engines, and I will use the example of the standard SR20DE engine fitted to the Primera P11 (and others...). There was a flat spot at around 3000rpm ish which people believed was a 'programmed' flat spot by Nissan to encourage gear changes as remaping even on a standard engine, this flat spot could be easily removed!

For a start, the compression ratio between a NA and a boosted engine are different. This is why a 1.6 NA (or even less CC) engine feels more punchy lower down than a 1.6 turbo engine. A boosted engine with lower compression will have slightly less grunt low down and off boost because of this. It is 'dependant' on the blower (be it turbo/supercharger) to make up the different in compression.

Secondly, you need to give the turbo a chance to spool up and generate boost. Some turbo's are better at it than others, but don't expect boost until around 2/2.5k rpm, and even then it may not be the full 1 bar of boost you are expecting.

Thirdly, these are not performance engines, they are eco engines so there are differences between the non-eco-engines-with-turbo which were performance based engines, and the engines plonked into cars these days with turbo's. Nissan don't seem to be willing to make 'performance' tweaked cars these days like the older Primera GT and Almera GTi which had a tweaked 2.0 SR20DE engine compared to the 2.0 SR20DE engine in the SRi (and other non GT models). Instead they seem to plonk smaller engines in their special models and just make they look better!

And finally you can not compare a diesel turbo engine to a petrol turbo engine, the characteristic are different and they naturally have low down grunt due to the way the fuel is burnt (well, more exploded rather than burnt....).

You guys are taking as though you should have instant power. That sort of performance from a boosted engine only really comes from a supercharger (although those start to run out of effort at high rpm...), or an engine fitted with a small turbo (again, you run out of effort at high rpm and choke the engine....)

Although turbo engines have been around for a while, most people will not have had access to them due to cost or worries about reliability. Now that they are more common due to regulations almost forcing turbo engines on people, people are not used to the characteristic of them and expect to drive the car the way they drove a NA engine.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Nicely put SplanK.
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

Tried to do mine with the health check but they said no as would need to rebook both together so booked both in for 19th August. I'll let you know any difference but I don't see mine as being a problem. They said the need an hour for the reflash/ecru update.
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
Dw350zQQ

Post by Dw350zQQ »

Mine has been done now. Nothing to report i cant feel any differences.