Panoramic roof cracked

Bodywork & Interior problems
Michael

Post by Michael »

Picked up my QQ this afternoon, hour and a half drive home, smiling most of the way. Got home to find a crack going half way across the roof, just above rear door. It wasn't there when I left the dealers, so it looks like it's down to me.

Has anyone had theirs replaced? If so, does it count as a windscreen on the insurance? And, where there any problems?

Cheers
'16 1.5dci N-Connecta, Blade Silver, bonnet struts

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

What a shame! :( Not sure what the deal is with insurance but hope you get it sorted.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I remember something like this was mentioned at least a couple of years ago. It's best to check with your individual insurer as some will class it as glass and some will class it as body panels.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

You need to identify where the crack starts. If its from an edge, then its probably a manufacturing defect and a warranty claim. If you can see where a stone has hit the glass, then its insurance.

Do you have any pictures?
Michael wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:48 pm Picked up my QQ this afternoon, hour and a half drive home, smiling most of the way. Got home to find a crack going half way across the roof, just above rear door. It wasn't there when I left the dealers, so it looks like it's down to me.

Has anyone had theirs replaced? If so, does it count as a windscreen on the insurance? And, where there any problems?

Cheers
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Michael, that is really bad luck but you never know your luck have a chat with your Dealer especially if there is no evidence of a stone chip. I believe this is the post that gvmdaddy was refering to - Best of Luck Dave ;)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2311&hilit=Panoramic+roof
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Michael

Post by Michael »

Thanks for the replies.

I've just read through that thread, and also checked my policy - which is unfortunately through Esure. The policy states it does not cover panoramic roof as glass, so I'll have to fork out my excess - which will still be cheaper than paying the full amount. I do have protected NCD though, so will just have to be careful until renewal - in 11 months!

You can see the mark where it's been hit, and then the crack coming from there. I'll get it done next week, as although its laminated and stronger than the windscreen, I don't want to leave it too long, but can't do anything until after the weekend.

Still, it's a lovely car to drive, so I'll still be happy when I get in it in the morning - I'll just keep the blind closed!
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Seems a bit coincidental that it just happened on your drive home, the initial damage was probably already done before you set off from the dealers.

Having said that, my very first Nissan (a primera about 20 years ago), I got a massive stone chip in the windscreen in the 10 minute drive home from the dealers which definitely did happen on that drive as I saw it flying towards me and made a loud bang.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Michael

Post by Michael »

Well, I have two choices - go through insurance as Accidental Damage, pay the excess and it counts as a claim, or pay it outright myself, leaving the insurance alone. But it's £870 inc VAT. Looks like it's an insurance job!

Chris - I have a history of somehow managing to chip the windscreen of every car I've owned within the first three weeks. Always on the same piece of road (on my way home from work, so can't avoid it unfortunately!). I think I have an aversion to glass elements on cars 😏🙄
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

This is one of the 2 reasons why I wont ever get another car with a pano roof, to much of a liability.... the other is that I don't really see the point in it, other than the kids find it intersecting for 30 seconds!!
beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

When polishing my car yesterday I noticed a very small crack or scratch in the pano glass, about 1cm long. I cant tell if its right through both sides, another problem on a Nissancare4 / main dealer used car I will need to tell them about. :(
I own a used 1.5 DCI N-connecta 2016 machine