Towbar advice for 2012 1.5dci - for caravan

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

I need to get a towbar fitted to my 2012 1.5dci QQ and would appreciate any recommendations and also what relevant questions to ask when choosing a make and fitter.

Thanks

Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

What are you towing? If its just a small trailer, you may only need the wiring for brakes lights and indicators, if you intend to tow a caravan, you can ask for dedicated wiring kit which gives fridge charge, brake light failure, and turns off the reversing buzzers when the caravan is attached and one or two other things. When I had my tow bar fitted, I didn't bother with dedicated wiring kit, was an extra £80. I would, however, ask for a detachable tow bar, they are easy to use, a little more expensive, but keeps the back of the car looking nice when not attached.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

I am no expert on Tow Bars but I have been asking our Nissan Dealer out here for information on these for the new J11B Model. I stated that I did not want any Bar that involved any Body Changes eg cutting the Rear Valance, but detachable. The Sales, Service Mgr. & Stores Guys all mentioned “Westfalia” and all of the Tow Bars were actually for the QQ J10 models. Might be worth a look at - Dave 😉

Nissan Qashqai SUV towbars | Westfalia : https://shop.westfalia-automotive.com/t ... inc-2-5305
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

Thanks for your replies. I've just had a quote for a tow bar:-

Witter
Fixed swan neck option supplied & fitted with ECS 13pin dedicated electrics fully wired £619.10 Inc vat
This bar has a no bumper cut.

Tow Trust
Detachable swan neck option supplied & fitted with ECS 13pin dedicated electrics fully wired £848.40 Inc vat
This bar has a non-visible bumper cut.

Takes about 4 hours to do and includes any programming required.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Spuriousfish, Thanks for the information - noted Dave 😊
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
conrail
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by conrail »

I got a local man to do it, would recomend him, depeands on your area but I used North East Towbars, https://www.northeasttowbars.co.uk/, he fitted a detachable swan neck with standard wiring, works a treat on van internal and external electrics, no cut in the towbar, the only thing I lost was the rear towing eye option but as I have tow bar not a problem, worked solidly for 4 hours, refused cups of tea/coffee, cost just over £400, I chose detachable because I wasn't sure on the reverse alarm but alarm doesn't sound when I have towbar on without trailer and reversing, hope this helps
Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

I got the fixed Swan Neck and can confirm that the reversing sensors work just as they used to without the towbar i.e no interference from the tow bar.

One thing to check on - where the cable goes into the back of the 13 pin connector it may not be sealed very well which allows water to get it in. I just wrapped a few turns of electrical tape around it. Really the fitter should have been aware of this but......