To buy or not to buy??

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Nic1004

Post by Nic1004 »

Hi, wondered whether you could answer me a question? I have been looking to purchase a Qashqai now for a couple of weeks but after reading lots of bad reviews my other half says he doesnt think we should get one!

We have been looking around a 10 plate and diesel; although we dont do a lot of mileage I have always had diesel cars as I find them much more economical - thoughts very welcome?

Thanks

Alex

Post by Alex »

Having just purchased a
Qashqai+2 1.6dCi I am probably a little bit bias, but I did do lots
of research. On the petrol vs diesel, for the same size
engine you need to a lots of mileage to make diesel pay, but there is
more to it than that; to get the power necessary from the petrol
I think you would need the 2.0 litre petrol and rev it
highly due to it having less torque.As for Qashqai
alternatives there is the Kia Sportage or Mazda CX-5, I preferred the
Qashqai+2 its boot is bigger and those extra seats will come in handy
for occasional use.
Bunce

Post by Bunce »

Hi,My wife and I had a similar dilemma recently, as we wanted a small diesel 4x4 suitable for everyday use, and able to tow a small two berth caravan. We searched the internet, and I must have read a hundred test reports on different cars. If I were to believe all I had read, I would have bought a pushbike! No car is perfect, they all have advantages and disadvantages, and a lot is down to personal choice. We decided on a Qashqai +2 Two litre diesel automatic N-tec on a 10 plate. It was 3 years old, with 34,000 on the clock. Full service history from a Nissan dealer with 1 years warranty.The only faults we have had are, the chrome coating coming off the passenger door handle, and the radio refusing to work, only to correct itself 10 minutes later!We bought it in March, and so far its been fine. Its in everyday use and had been totally reliable so far. We recently bought a 2 berth caravan, and after having a detatchable tow bar fitted, we took it on a test trip to a site about 25 miles away. It cruised easily at 60mph on dual carriageway, and was very happy with the van on the back.My observations so far are as follows. Fuel economy is reasonable considering this is a 2 litre automatic. I guess it averages around 35mpg, perhaps a bit less with stop start town driving, and certainly nearer 40 mpg on a decent run. Its very comfortable and roomy, with plenty of leg room in the rear. Ours is the 7 seater, which gives it a large boot and underfloor storage, and also room for a space saver spare wheel under the rear floor. The extra two seats are only suitable for small children, with almost no footwell for them to use. Not as good as the 7 seater Zafira we had. Insurance was very reasonable, fully comp with windscreen and hire car(if off the road) was £240 and I haven't got any no claims, as I've been driving company cars for many years before retiring recently. All in all a good all round package, that meets our motoring needs. Other cars we looked at were the VW Tiguan. Very expensive, and poorly equipped comparing it with the Qashqai. The Freelander 2. Heavy fuel consumption and recent reports of major issues with the auto gearbox, and as HonestJohn website says "an epedemic of camshaft failures" causing total engine failure! No thanks!I suspect by now you have already made your choice, but hopefully my comments may help others in your position. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Qquser555

Post by Qquser555 »

Wow, now I'm jealous.

Just bought a QQ 2.0 DCI 4wd and although I love it the best MPG I can get seems to average 26. I admit I do quite a lot of local driving but expected 30+

I'm an ex driving instructor an I know how to go easy of the gas peddle to save fuel but at minute it readers 25.9 at an average of 15 miles an hour.

Gulp !

Hoping that this is not how it should be and that I can find the problem and fix it

Any suggestions ?
Alison556

Post by Alison556 »

I originally had a 2009 diesel Acenta and it was absolutely fantastic.
We had horrific snow in the winter of 2010 and I was the only person
moving in our street thanks to my trusty Qashqai and it wasn't even 4WD.Last year, I
replaced it with a 2012 petrol Acenta and I've bitterly regretted it.
The Qashqai is still a lovely roomy car that is really nice to drive but
I personally feel that Nissan have cheapened it. The
upholstery isn't quite the same as my old model - it's a bit cheaper
feeling. The 6 disc changer has been replaced with a single CD head
unit and a USB port. The hands free for mobile phones used to be so
simple to use - you could add shortcuts to the head unit for your most
frequently called numbers. It was also quick and easy (and safe) to
switch between phones. You could redial your last number from the
steering wheel controls.Well, no more.You can't input
any dialling shortcuts. It downloads your entire phonebook and if you
want to try and phone "Mum", you've to scroll through your entire
phonebook until you get to M - kind of defeats the purpose of hands
free. Switching between phones takes forever and if your second phone
rings, by the time you've connected it, you've missed the call.Even
simple, silly little things - like my old model would give an audible
warning when the fuel capacity was at a certain level - not any more it
doesn't. If you're like me and keep forgetting to keep a close eye on
your fuel, that warning beep was a Godsend. Now the need for petrol
sneaks up on me!Fuel consumption is awful - I get around 23 - 24 miles per gallon around town and about 28 - 29 mpg on dual carriageway. With my diesel, I got about 36-27 mpg around town.The
little flashing gear change symbol irritates me - I do actually know
when to change gear and if I changed gear when it told me to, I'd be
constantly labouring the engine or cutting out. That's something else -
this one just isn't for going up hills. If I stop on a hill and then
try to drive off, it takes a lot of persuassion and clutch slipping to
gain some momentum to actually get moving again, I often have to skip
into first then back up to second going up a hill.I still like my Qashqai - I just wish I still had my original.