Qashqai+2 1.5 DCI - Reliability?

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
MrSweetE90
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by MrSweetE90 »

Hi All,

I currently drive a BMW E90 330D with the bulletproof M57n2 Engine, but I'm in need of a 7 seater and I quite like the look of the Qashqai+2 2010/2013 models with the 1.5 diesel engine as they seem to be amazing on fuel, cheap on insurance and cheap on tax.

However I'm doing a little digging into common problems and I've came across a few concerning things.

Cam belt design flaw rubbing against fuel pump - Catastrophic Failure

Various Electrical problems

Which? Rated the 2nd gen Qashqai one of the most unreliable and the Qashqai appears to have been mentioned in a few articles.

So I was just wondering if anybody could clear some things up, are these point blank unreliable? Does the 1.5 dci still have the design flaw with the cam belt and if so was it recalled and fixed? I've seen a couple of threads about low oil pressure lights as well.

I was initially going to get a BMW X5 with the same engine as I know they don't suffer any catastrophic common problems, they're very minor (Thermostats, Glow Plug Controller, EGR Cooler cracking, Brake Vacuum Pump leaking) all cheap and easy to fix. Diagnosing is amazing with many softwares not only to find faults but to aid in fixing them, coding/programming is easy.. But against the Qashqai they aren't the cheapest to run about in, low fuel economy, much higher tax, higher insurance, more expensive to buy. So I'd really appreciate some honest feedback on the Qashqai as I really want something reliable and cheap to run, I don't mind working on the car and I've done a ton of work on my own but reading about cam belts and low oil pressure just makes me think I'm going well into the wrong direction.
2012 Qashqai 1.6 DCI TEKNA Plus

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

As an ex owner of a 525i I understand your concern(s). BMW of course has a big following in the USA hence the ease of getting engineering documentation for the cars...TIS and all that. Amongst their documentation is the the scheduled servicing intervals relating to lifed items. That to me is significant. Also the periodic directives to dealers on issues arising.

The world of Nissan has few in the way of accurate/reliable documentation and particularly on lifed items. Planned maintenance I believe is thus hit and miss ...for the owner. I suspect this is much the same for most cars.

I've nothing positive to add/help. I'd jump back to a BMW in a heart beat though. Costs as you say and the sudden hit on ICE engines heralds the end. Fortunately for me I don't have to join the rat race everyday...anymore. I took a long look a the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid...thats fairly big. Too big for me really.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta