dpf+engine light on dash

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
ruderaceruk

Post by ruderaceruk »

Hi i have just recently purchased a qashqai 2008 reg 2 litre 4+4 dci tekna and now after three weeks the dpf and engine light has come on and has in my eyes set the car in safe mode !!! which means no cruise control the warning lights on the dash are constantly on am just wondering why the dpf hasnt emptied and turned the engine managment light off ..its not as though i havent taken the car on long journeys and made the effort for the car to understand its time to empty out the dpf ..but ive done what it says in the manual and looked at how to keep the car at optimal level ..i work down the m1 and every day its a long journey ...i chose the qashqai because of all the safety and urban qualities and that means it out shines most cars on the road i could of had an audi a4 or a toyota avensis or volvo but i stood by my decision ..especially now my family is growing ..i'm going to stand by the car but i'm not spending my haqrd earned cash on somthing i can sort by myself but if my back is against the wall !!!..i'll spend the cash but did'nt expect to pay so early on in the ownership ..any advice is very much appreciated ...
thank you kindly

Dan

Post by Dan »

I think it might depend on how it was driven before you got it. Engine light on and DPF light on is a sign that the DPF needs to manually regenerated. A dealer or good local garage should be able to plug it in to confirm what the engine light is on for.Bad news is a regeneration from a dealer is close to £300 iirc.This is what is posted on the Juke site by a Nissan Tech, it should be the same for the QQ; Euro4 dpf - DPF light will come on telling you to do the regen of driving at high speed to burn of. If the DPF unit fails the MIL light will come on - indicating a dealer visit. Euro5 dpf - there is NO DPF light. The DPF process is automatic and DOES NOT require you to drive at high speed - it uses oil regeneration, is fully automatic and once started will finish no matter what speed you are driving it; neither will it inform you it is doing a regen. If the DPF regen fails - the MIL light will come on indicating a dealer visit.Hope that helps.. Someone else with a bit more knowledge might be able to help further.Thanks
ruderaceruk

Post by ruderaceruk »

I have already handed over £250 to my local nissan dealer DPF regen new oil filter + changed the oil and set all the fault codes back to reset and they gave the interior a good clean., so i have my amazing car back to full health and everything is working 100 % im happy with the advice you've given me ..It's just that the exhaust isnt covered under my warranty but it set the engine warning light on and i'm covered by my warranty by the engine + gearbox i just didn't want to spend money when i could of sorted the problem myself but i had no choice ...but this is a safety feature and it helps the environment so this is technology ..one thing fails to save another from failing ..lol ..thanks qashqai friend
thank you kindly
Dan

Post by Dan »

Glad I could help but sorry about the issue. Seems to be a very common occurrence on the QashQai, Juke and X-Trail.
ruderaceruk

Post by ruderaceruk »

it came on again a week later and sounded very tinny like they hadnt put the exhaust together tight so it sounded like the dpf was empty or full again but luckily the work was still under the gurantee the dpf light came on (orange light ) then the engine management light )...so car was in safe mode no cruise control !!..and same error codes so took it back to my local dealer ..I was wondering if anybody has heard this but this is what the parts manager said to me when i picked my car back up !!...he said when the orange dpf light comes on you should stop or pull over and turn the engine off and on ten times to set the dpf back to reset and that should clear the light ..i think this is after a dpf regen or to initiate the dpf to function to burn the unwanted sut and clear the filter when you are on the road because the qashqai isnt for town driving ...i drive 50 miles to work and need my car ..so some guy telling me a lie or some myth will piss me off ..because if its that easy why is it so unreliable ...thanks for the advice dan ..
thank you kindly