Looking to buy a 2litre petrol Auto

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
bianconero

Post by bianconero »

Hello all, after hiring a jeep while on holiday in Greece I really want to get back to owning a higher up car, had a Shogun some 10 years ago and loved it. I've done some research and I think it's got to be a Qashqai. 80% of my driving is in London with a bit of faster A road driving. did think about the hybrid Lexus 400h as the electric motor means not using petrol up to about 30mph but the insurance group is 37! Plus its a fairly large car to get down south London's narrow roads. The Qashqai seems to have the best fuel economy of similar cars in the group but obviously being 2 litre, and Auto, and town driving I'm not expecting miracles. My current car, 2007 BMW118i Auto is returning around 24mpg, my question is will I be able to get away with no worse mpg with the Qashqai? Appreciate any advice.Thanks

bala

Post by bala »

I have a QQ+2 2.0L petrol CVT (auto) petrol for the last 3 months. It does between 26-28 mpg inner city and 36-38 mpg on motorways averaging about 33 mpg. Nice car but takes time to getting used to the CVT.
2010 N-Tec 2.0L CVT 4WD
bianconero

Post by bianconero »

Cheers for the reply Bala, mpg seems reasonable.

What do you mean about the CVT, isn't it like an Auto-box?
bala

Post by bala »

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/auto- ... -your-car/

This is one of the links I found for the different transmission types. I am sure you can find many more. You don't feel the gearshifts that happens in a traditional auto. It is really smooth. On the other hand if you are hard on the gas you will feel that the rev's go up much higher initially and strangely come down after the car speeds up. It is a transmission for people who believe in smooth acceleration or deceleration!

Test drive one if you are not sure. I was impressed with the smoothness in acceleration on my test drive. Also worth checking with nissan customer services with the reg no about any extended warranties. As some vehicles with CVT had issues nissan extended warranty on CVT gearbox up to 93,000 miles - Mine has it, I checked it before I bought ( that helped make my decision!)
2010 N-Tec 2.0L CVT 4WD
bianconero

Post by bianconero »

Good stuff, thanks for that Bala. I'm going to go for a test drive this coming weekend, I'm a bit heavy footed so will be interesting to see if the CVT is for me or not, as you say though its probably just a matter of getting used to it. Will post back once I've had a drive.
bianconero

Post by bianconero »

So I went to test drive the car I liked on Saturday. Unfortunately when I got there they told me it had been sold, but noone thought to call me to save a wasted journey. The salesman said we've got another you can drive instead, but that was a 1.6 diesel and I want the 2 litre petrol. Salesman then tried to sell me a brand new one when I can only afford used. Not great really so binning that particular Nissan dealership.
bala

Post by bala »

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience. They should have informed you. I have heard good things about the 1.6 diesel. It was introduced only in 2012, so I suspect cost would be high. Have you been looking only in London? 2.0L petrol CVT in the used market is not as common as the diesels. You may have to look outside London. Also have a look at some of the good independent dealers. I bought mine from and Independent dealer. Hope you get what you want.
2010 N-Tec 2.0L CVT 4WD
VovaTuf

Post by VovaTuf »

[quote="bianconero"]did think about the hybrid Lexus 400h ...
My current car, 2007 BMW118i[/QUOTE]If you have a BMW and now you look at Lexus, then Nissan seems too simple and cheap for you. You have to ride through the narrow roads of south London on BMW X1 or Audi Q3.
[quote="bianconero"] Auto is returning around 24mpg, my question is will I be able to get away with no worse mpg with the Qashqai?[/QUOTE]Yes, my Qashqai 2.0 CVT consumes around this mpg in the summer and the winter little more. But I drive on the wide streets of Moscow (or rather I stand in Moscow traffic jams).

I love my Qasshqai 2.0l petrol with CVT. But if you have not bought, I would like to warn you. At CVT very weak dynamics until it warms up. Electronics does not accelerate until the CVT-oil does not reached its operating temperature. This is done to prevent wear of mechanisms. This is especially noticeable in the winter, but even now (+5 celsius) we have to go slowly for 5 minutes until the CVT is warms up. After the BMW dynamic you might not like it.
After a good warms-up CVT dynamic becomes good. It adapts to the driver's style. If you drive safely, it will save fuel, increasing the RPM only on the downhill, protecting the driver. But it is worth 3-4 times strongly push accelerator, the CVT then becomes a sport and working at high RPM.
I want to say about the steering wheel. Perhaps you are used to how easy it is spinning the steering wheel at BMW. At Qashqai wheel spinning hard. This is first experiment of Nissan Electric power steering. At the project it should become heavy at high speeds. But really, though it becomes easier to park, but still heavy compared to BMW. Pay attention to this, you might not like it.
Fired iron Cat(Qashqai) 2008 Navi-Pack 2.0l petrol 4WD CVT
bianconero

Post by bianconero »

Hey Vova thanks for you reply. I did consider the Bmw X3 but the mpg is really poor, and the Audi is too expensive to buy. Yeah I think the cvt box will anyway take getting used to, not sure I want to drive slowly while it warms up though, that's not my driving style at all ha ha. I've seen one I like and so hopefully going to test drive it this coming week so will let you know.
VovaTuf

Post by VovaTuf »

Ok! I wish you make the right decision.
Fired iron Cat(Qashqai) 2008 Navi-Pack 2.0l petrol 4WD CVT