Outside air temperature indicator

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
HARRY H

Post by HARRY H »

Dear All. I am a newbie to this forum I own a 59 plate Qashqai 1.5 dci. I bought the car some 3-1/2 years ago and I am generally pleased with it. Yesterday, when I set off on a short journey, I noticed that the outside temp. indicator was flashing, with no reading, just dashes. It then started to show a temperature of 38 Deg. C, though the actual temp was around 3 Deg. C. This morning, starting from cold, a temperature of 40 Deg. C was indicated, though it was about 2. I apologise if this problem is posted elsewhere. Pleas can anyone throw some light on this. Thanks and best wishes. Harry H.ps. I did originally post this onto the J11 Forum, where GEL kindly pointed e at this one
HFH

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

There is a thermistor located down the "bonnet catch" hole.It's probably got some grot in it / damaged wiring.Commodity part i'd assume it's cheap to get it replaced but wouldn't know for sure.Either that or have you got it in fahrenheit by accident?That wouldn't be wildly inaccurate (i know you said C) just making a leap of thought.
Nissan no more...
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Your car must be dreaming of being somewhere warm!
HARRY H

Post by HARRY H »

Thanks Alley Cat. I'll give that a coat of looking at tomorrow. The indicator does say 'C' but the numbers would make sense in F. Is it possible to select between F and C?Thanks and Best Wishes. Harry H
HFH
HARRY H

Post by HARRY H »

Believe me! So am I. So am I. Best Wishes Harry H
HFH
HARRY H

Post by HARRY H »

Hi Alley Cat. I finally got around to having a look and found the thermistor, as described. At that moment, Sod's law prevailed and it started to rain, so I just made sure that it was pushed home at the end of it's connector/cable. Over the last two short trips, it has behaved normally. I will give it a bit more attention when weather and time permit and I will price one up just in case.Thank you for the info. Have a great Christmas and a successful New Year. Harry H
HFH
DIYDaddy
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by DIYDaddy »

I have similar problem, except that the indicated temperature is much lower than actual, e.g. -18 when it's +4. Tried changing the sensor; no change.

Then, a few days ago, it started to read a sensible temperature again. But now it's back to -22, or --

Intermittent cable fault? Where do I look for the other (not the sensor) end to check the connection?

Anyone any other ideas?
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Posted in error
Last edited by calnorth on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

DIYDaddy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:31 pm I have similar problem, except that the indicated temperature is much lower than actual, e.g. -18 when it's +4. Tried changing the sensor; no change.

Then, a few days ago, it started to read a sensible temperature again. But now it's back to -22, or --

Intermittent cable fault? Where do I look for the other (not the sensor) end to check the connection?

Anyone any other ideas?

As far as I can see from diagnostics the sensor connects to the rear of the combination dials and the temp value is transmitted to the AIrCon system using the CAN Bus from there. It probably feeds to the ECU as well. The name for the sensor function is Ambient Sensor.

Is the Aircon/Heating operating right as regards temperature.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Dazla8885

Post by Dazla8885 »

FIX FIX FIX I have 2017 qashqai tenka and it sarted to read -40c,. I replaced the ambient temperature sensor at a cost of £30.00 form amazon but this did not change anything. So after speaking to my friend who is a nissan technician he said this is a common fault.
Now the fix once the sensor has been changed, Disconnect the battery for a minute or so then reconnect wow it actually worked my car is back to normal, My nissan tec friend has said this is the FIX for most nissan with irregular ambient temperatures.