Steering wheel -> creaking sound

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
eljuero

Post by eljuero »

I had no succes with getting new parts because, so they say, new parts from factory are the same (dry, no greas) and creaking sounds come back, so they took suspension apart and greased all the parts, but it is ok now also the creaking in steering wheel seems to be gone.
1.6 DIG-T TEKNA BLACK

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I've had two issues with steering creak, and just solved them both. The first was more of a groan that occurred in colder weather, fixed by spraying white lithium grease around the base of the steering shaft at the floor.

The second was more of a metallic creak, like bedsprings, only happened when I turned left but was annoying as hell. Even more annoying, I could never replicate it sat on the drive, only ever happened going round corners.

Drove me mad for weeks, but recently it started happening going over speed bumps not even touching the steering wheel and I realised it was coming from the seat. Especially when I leaned right - which is why I always noticed it turning left as you naturally shift your body weight to the right.

I tried everything, greasing bits, moving the seat back and forwards, and couldn't get rid, but earlier today I read on a Volkswagen forum about how his creaky seat was due to the bit that raised the height.

I've just been out, lowered my seat by one notch (it was on the highest), and drove around over lots of bumps and left turns - no more creaks!
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
byggekloss
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by byggekloss »

There's a noise from the steering wheel on our 2015 Qashqai. I tried to capture it on video while parked, but it can also creak while driving. It only happens occationally.

This is definitely from inside the steering wheel itself, and temperature has no impact. Sounds like something is "loose".
Anybody got an idea of what causes this? Clock spring? Want to fix it before the warranty runs out if it's something serious.
2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I hear two noises in your video, one is a clicking noise which lasts the whole video and one is a small creak that happens at 0:06 seconds.

That creak noise is the one I was convinced was my steering wheel but has turned out to be my seat. I realised by pretending to turn the wheel but not actually touching it, so my body was making the exact same movements and kept getting the creak.

And it's gone worse now, I only have to lean left or right for the seat to creak and groan really badly.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T