Steering wheel -> creaking sound

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
cx_bell

Post by cx_bell »

I took my perfect QQ in for its 12 month service, and drove out with a creaking steering wheel. I drove it for a month with the steering wheel creaking every time I turned it to the left. It's been hot weather here, over 30c most days. I reported the problem to my Nissan dealer and I took my QQ there today. The service manager told me they couldn't replicate the creak and said everything checked out fine. I drove out of Nissan, turned left and the steering wheel creaked. *sigh*

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Solution: only ever turn right. Do it three times and you'll have turned left anyway! ;)
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Catmandoo

Post by Catmandoo »

I had the same problem,I had the steering colum bush replaced that didn't work.After a second look this is what they did, copy of in warranty work supplied.

Qashqai Tekna 1.2 silver 2015

IMG_0079.JPG

eljuero

Post by eljuero »

thx for this
1.6 DIG-T TEKNA BLACK
Catmandoo

Post by Catmandoo »

Hope it helps sort out your problem,

Post by alter »

Will definitely help. There is indeed a recall of the car for this. I got the shock tower top mounts on the front changed under warranty, about 4 months ago. Not a single crack or whining sound again when turning around, not even at -14deg.
Qashqai Tekna 1.6 4x4 gunmetal
Catmandoo

Post by Catmandoo »

I don't know why these dealers don't come clean right away they know what the problem instead they fob you off.The place I go to sorted me out quickly.
Biggsmig

Post by Biggsmig »

I have posted before about my steering wheel creak. I have had my Qq from new and it is now coming up to 3 years old.The steering wheel has creaked from new. So far it has been greased, Had a bush changed and more recently had the clock spring changed. None of these have made any difference. As well as being annoyed about the creak it is obvious that my new Qq has had three unnecessary "repairs". Does anyone have a definitive answer to this problem. It does seem to only present itself when it is cold. As an aside the car has also had 4 oxygen sensors and a new battery. Owning a new car is supposed to be a pleasure.?
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

We had our Strut Rubbers installed with exactly the same Nissan No. as on the invoice from Catmandoo in Jan 2016 and have never had a problem since. There was never any talk of greasing or exchanging other parts. When I mention any problem with our QQ, our Dealer seems to know the cure and IMHO there appears to be information on the major defects that Nissan advise the Dealers on, now whether it is read or acted on is a Dealer problem - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Biggsmig

Post by Biggsmig »

Thanks for the reply Dave. I will try showing that to the dealer. With all the complaints about this issue you would have thought nissan had got to the bottom of this by now. At the moment every time I take it in to sandicliffe they do something different. It seems like they haven't got a clue. I will also see what nissan customer services say now.