BRAKES LOCKING INTERMITTENTLY

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Ofious

Post by Ofious »

Hello help needed . I have a quashqai 1.6 Acenta 2010 model which has done just over 30,000 miles. In the last 2 weeks the brakes lock in the middle of nowhere and abs lights and all lights come on and the car won't move. Abs pumps have been changed, master cylinder changed and exactly same fault persist. Can someone advice what it could be as even dealer is scratching his head. Could it be a software problem? Is there a software update available? Thanks

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Try asking on J10 thread.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
marty76
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by marty76 »

Hi , I'm experiencing that exact problem , would you be kind enough to share, if you resolved this matter, as It has stumped 3 garages so far many thanks
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I'm very surprised at this...in particular the dealer head scratching? If thats a Nissan dealer, he should have called Nissan Technical Support and quit guessing.

The ABS unit is not software controlled. However, some functions (stability control etc) are managed by the ECU...this is to do with various sensors. Communications for such functions are over the vehicle CAN bus. Errors, if detected place ABS in a Fail Safe state..disables it.

Vehicle braking systems simply don't suddenly slam the brakes on. I assume the problem to be ABS unit related. Meaning it is faulty or the sensor systems controlling it are dangerously wrong. From Nissans own diagnostics there is a Fail-Safe state that the car should adopt as follows:

"For malfunction of ABS, only the EBD is activated and the condition of vehicle is the same condition of vehicles without TCS/ABS system."

This means that sensor and electronics is disabled and the braking system acts mechanically and very simply....not dangerously. As such the car should have recorded error codes (DTCs)...the dealer should tell you what they are. If its Nissan they have a bespoke CONSULT test and diagnostics system for this.

Ask the dealer what DTCs they have seen. If the problem persists complain to Nissan UK Customer Services emphasising the dangerous sudden braking and failed attempts at diagnosis and repair.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum - can't add anything more.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)