stop/start system fault

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

1katie86 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:59 pm No iv only taken it to my local garage atm they can't seem to understand it I had rac my breakdown company check the battery and everything the found no faults either, I use my car everyday doing school run which is a 19 mile round trip and we also go out for rides most weekends so usually gets a long run once aweek obviously not as much recently but still is used everyday im just unsure what to do next do i take it to an auto electrician and see if they can find what is draining the battery?
Its very difficult to trace a battery drain. Especially difficult for a non Nissan dealer because of the lack of or inaccuracy of electrical diagrams for the car. Its whats called a Parasitic Battery Drain. Another term is current leakage.

A good auto electrician should in the first instance measure any leakage at the battery itself. That is easy to do and probably needs a 24 hour or so check. He should have a simple electrical tool for that and as simple as a test meter really.

He might eliminate the alleged leakage? If it is a problem he may not be able to trace it further but could give you enough info to take to a Nissan garage. Nissan would be able to isolate the problem fairly easily...if it exists.

Common problems are:
Too many short journeys...stops and starts
Bad battery
Bad charging
Internal lamp remaining on
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

At a total guess, I think its the MAF Sensor. Get a code reader to be sure. If you live near Boston, Lincs you can borrow mine.
Haddocks1 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:53 pm I have a 2015 Qashqui which has an irritating issue - this has been going on for a few months.
The car starts quite normally and then 100 yards down the road the red engine light comes on and the on/off starts flashing. The red engine light does not flash. The orange engine light appears to be permanently on. However, as soon as the red engine light comes on then another warning light flashes on - chassis which is then followed by the front emergency breaking warning. The car has been into have the particulate diesel filter changed as they thought this was the problem due to insufficient heat to burn the fuel and filter being clogged. However, this has not made a difference but it was worth getting it down. I have since discovered quite by accident, that when the red engine light goes off after a period of time - sometimes its 5 minutes and other times its 15 minutes, if I stop the car and restart all of the lights have gone - no red engine light, no on/off flashing, no chassis warning light and no emergency breaking light!!!
Any answers, anybody???
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Lots of good points here. You could also google/duckduckgo https://duckduckgo.com/?q=testing+for+p ... ain&ia=web
calnorth wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:05 pm Its very difficult to trace a battery drain. Especially difficult for a non Nissan dealer because of the lack of or inaccuracy of electrical diagrams for the car. Its whats called a Parasitic Battery Drain. Another term is current leakage.

A good auto electrician should in the first instance measure any leakage at the battery itself. That is easy to do and probably needs a 24 hour or so check. He should have a simple electrical tool for that and as simple as a test meter really.

He might eliminate the alleged leakage? If it is a problem he may not be able to trace it further but could give you enough info to take to a Nissan garage. Nissan would be able to isolate the problem fairly easily...if it exists.

Common problems are:
Too many short journeys...stops and starts
Bad battery
Bad charging
Internal lamp remaining on
1katie86
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by 1katie86 »

Thankyou for the replies I'm getting car back today still showing up with stop start fault but my garage doesn't really know what else to do as they have had battery checked and seem to be fine but after 4 or 5 starts its dead again on there diagnostics machine no fault is showing up though so they have advised i have it back not sure what to do now as it can happen at anytime and unreliability is my worst nightmare..
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

1katie86 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:38 pm Thankyou for the replies I'm getting car back today still showing up with stop start fault but my garage doesn't really know what else to do as they have had battery checked and seem to be fine but after 4 or 5 starts its dead again on there diagnostics machine no fault is showing up though so they have advised i have it back not sure what to do now as it can happen at anytime and unreliability is my worst nightmare..
You should take it to a Nissan dealership
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Eddiep
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Eddiep »

Have a 2015 j11. Issue is when SS kickes in sometimes it won't restart when clutch depressed. Sometimes it takes a second go and failing this restart with key. Also Radio intermittent issue with not powering up startup and cutting out for a split second during journey. Only purchased 3 months ago so I am booked into dealer to investigate. Have had in already with SS issue they reported no issue found. Any suggestion on line of questioning if they still say there are no issues.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Eddiep wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:46 am Have a 2015 j11. Issue is when SS kickes in sometimes it won't restart when clutch depressed. Sometimes it takes a second go and failing this restart with key. Also Radio intermittent issue with not powering up startup and cutting out for a split second during journey. Only purchased 3 months ago so I am booked into dealer to investigate. Have had in already with SS issue they reported no issue found. Any suggestion on line of questioning if they still say there are no issues.
Nissan diagnostics has a lengthy dealer test procedure using their CONSULT diagnostic tool. That procedure is called "STOP/START SYSTEM NOT ACTIVATED"

They can't really guess at this problem hence the procedure to test functions of:

CHECK DTC (recorded error codes on the car)
Fuel Pump
Starter Motor
CHECK BATTERY STATUS
CHECK CUMULATIVE BATTERY DISCHARGE CURRENT
CHECK STOP/START OFF SWITCH
CHECK HOOD SWITCH

Ask them what they have done...but don't tell them the above until their explanation to you ends. There could be other checks.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Eddiep

Post by Eddiep »

Thanks. Good to know since they have already told me they could not find any issue.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Eddiep wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:28 am Thanks. Good to know since they have already told me they could not find any issue.
The headunit fast drop out maybe related to the battery. They usually have far more serious/longer drop outs than what you experience. Actual full reboots...very slow. Thats a software problem.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Eddiep

Post by Eddiep »

Thanks I think it is running D302. Should it be updated.