Losing the plot, please help

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
chrisneill

Post by chrisneill »

Hi, really looking for some advice. Posted last week without much success. The foam beneath the driver side carpet is soaked. I mopped up as much as I could and since have bought a wet vacuum which I've been using daily.

A mechanic had the car for a couple of hours with someone spraying a hose over the car. Nothing could be found!

I have checked the windscreen and there is no Nissan stamp on it suggestive (??) that it is not original. The mechanic suggested my next logical step should be to replace it.

I have noticed over the last few days that there always seems to be water to suck up even though it hasn't rained for a few days. Unsure if this is because the foam is holding so much water and the driving shifts it round a bit or could it be an air conditioning leak (worth mentioning I have told my wife to keep the air con on all the time she is driving to try and dry the car out).

Really reluctant to get the windscreen replaced if that is not going to fix the problem.

Any ideas at this stage would be appreciated.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

My bet, as said before, is that the air conditioning drain tube is loose, disconnected or split. It should drain to underneath the engine bay. Try not using the air conditioning for a couple of weeks.
chrisneill

Post by chrisneill »

Thanks v much. Is it possible for me to check the ac drain myself? If it was the AC where would we It be entering the cabin - thinking maybe I could run the AC and stick my hand up in that general area. Also, is it a big job (cost) to rectify? Thanks and sorry for all the questions. Chris
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Sorry, ive no idea. We need someone with a maintenance manual. As yet, still no sign of a Haynes Manual for the QQ....pity.
qashqailover

Post by qashqailover »

Haynes do a manual for the qashqai, i got one of ebay for just over £13, it covers 2007 to 2013 (56 to 13 reg) the book number is 5610, i've also seen it available in halfords, the air conditioning section is chapter 3.15

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-QASHQA ... XQDnpTYOoX

Have you lost any coolant (antifreeze) from your system as coolant goes through the heater matrix, this could be leaking.

$_57qashqai.JPG

Last edited by qashqailover on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qashqailover

Post by qashqailover »

I've been having a read of the haynes manual, the ac evaporator is in the heater housing with pipes coming into the car from the bulk head, i think this as a vent at the bottom that goes back out of the car, this could also be the problem.

Remove the glove box and lower trim so you can see and feel the heater housing, you may locate the leak.

I've seen a video on youtube of a guy removing the evaporator on a nissan although it's not a qashqai it will give you an idea of what to do, i'll find the link and add it below.

This is the link,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJASXZU1kQ
chrisneill

Post by chrisneill »

Guys

Thanks for your response - I really do appreciate your help.

Def not AC as Ive been running without and still facing a problem with water ingress. Def rain related. I feel a bit more confident that it is coming from above and not beneath as there is dampness behind and above the pedals, although of course dampness will spread with the right materials. Looking at the windscreen option now as the logical next step. Checked mine and there is no nissan stamp on it, suggestive that it has been replaced before.

After that, not sure - I guess I may have to take the plunge and hand it over to the dreaded dealership - but lets hope it doesnt get to that.

Any more ideas that anyone has would really be appreciated.

Quick theory check - mechanic with his head in the footwell, whilst someone spraying a hose, couldnt see any sign of water coming in.

If the car was driven, the force of the wind on the windscreen could, I assume, create the necessary gaps for water to get in - would this make sense to anyone?
Fuddleduck
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Fuddleduck »

Hi, did you ever find the root cause and solution to this?

I have a 2013 +2 (Diesel) and have just discovered a soaking rear passenger footwell (driver side) with no obvious source. Really squelchy carpet, removed side trim from around front and read doors and lifted the rear corner. Have removed a fair bit of water in the past fortnight but makes a return. No signs of reduced levels in the car systems. Think its rainwater (is odourless) but I am open to ideas.

I am about to remove seats and carpet for a 'water' treasure hunt.

Thanks
Fuddleduck
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Fuddleduck »

So an hour in. Drivers seat out. Rear sliding seat out. Carpet drenched under drivers seat too. Dry around rear seats until reach edge (1" or so above) of footwell. The noraml carpet break under the drivers seat is useful to get around - didn't realise until under here that mass sponge under drives footwell carpet also sodden, Remove side trim and carpet from behind pedals and voila, wet carpet on high ground. Suspect windscreen leak (had it replaced a year ago by autoglass and looking closely outside, the small corner trim is actually not well stuck).

Carpet removal to dry it out anyone?

With hindsight I probably could have found this slightly easier but removing drivers seat was very useful (rear seat not so). Lesson - start at the front maybe next time!
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

You may also need to check the cabin/pollen filter which is a bit of a buggar to get at; near driver's
left foot area. That may be soaked, need replacing when leak sorted.
Also ensure any leaves/ gunge in the grill/ drainage channels beneath windscreen wipers are removed.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D