Qashqai+2 2013 squealing brake issue help needed please

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Toltz
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Toltz »

Hi all,
I hope I'm posting in the right place!
I'm after some advise please, we purchased a 2013 qashqai+2 in Dec last year. 22k on the clock ex mobility car. We are at 29k now and has been running lovely but it has developed a intermittent high pitched squeal from the brakes. When this first happened we took it to the garage and they fitted all new pads. This seem to help but two weeks later the sound is back and louder then before. It has been back to the garage but of course it didn't make the noise when they drove it and they've checked the discs and they look almost new. They have offered to fit replacement pads to see if this helps.

The noise is very intermittent sometimes you won't hear anything and sometimes it is very bad. The noise is a high pitched squealing like metal on metal. It is only when you brake. It seems to be in all conditions wet/dry etc. I have tried to see if there is anything that brings it on e.g. Going up hill, round corner etc but I can't pin anything down.

It is very annoying and we are due to go on a family holiday soon down to Cornwall so I would like to get it sorted out.

Does anyone have any suggestions what else we could look at?

Thanks in advance

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Any sign of scoring or thin bright rings on the discs? Possible metallic particle embedded in the pad.
Toltz

Post by Toltz »

Thanks your your reply. I did notice some thin bright rings on one of the discs yesterday when I was looking at them. Would new pads fix this?
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

It will if there is something embedded in your current pads.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Mine do this occasionally, but not all the time and they look fine. I found this when googling, and I'm starting to think this is the reason and probably not much we can do about it:

"Brake pads normally contain bits of metal, but some cheap brake pads are manufactured with very high metal content. They have large chunks of metal pressed into the pad material. These large pieces of metal drag on the rotor and cause a high pitched brake squeak."

Moisture, condensation, rust, can all exaggerate it too. Mine comes and goes, I can go days without hearing it then it's there for a day or two then disappears again.

IF it was a worn pad or something else wrong and touching metal-metal, then I would expect to hear it most if not all of the time. It doesn't bother me too much because I usually have the radio on.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Had this problem a few years ago some people don't bed pads in ..breaking on motorways can lead to glazeing the pads making them squeal...
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Toltz

Post by Toltz »

Thanks all for your comments.

A bit of an update. The garage changed the pads. He was thinking they were a set of dodgy pads. Said he could see score lines in them?

Anyway this was last Weds and all was fine until today when the squeal was back and worse then ever.

I really need to find a solution the sound is driving me up the wall I feel myself tensing when I go to brake!

We are going to speak to the garage tomorrow and see what they say.
david sunderland

Did they fit Nissan pads ?.....other brake parts are not up to standard ....how many brand new QQ have problems with. Squealing brakes.....david
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Toltz

Post by Toltz »

Not sure what they fitted but I assume it wasn't Nissan pads it was probably a generic brand.

Why are Nissan pads different?

I've seen someone say having the rotor resurfaced fixed their noise.

It just seems strange that with brand new pads it dissappeared and a week later it has come back. We made sure to bed the pads in no harsh braking for 50 miles as advised by garage.
david sunderland

Not sure how they are different but someone will know...all QQ coming from factory will be squealing if factory parts had a problem....had problems in the past using motor discounted parts which was sorted by going back to Mauf parts.....