Starting Problem

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
dani87

Post by dani87 »

After market fuel filters are crap, they dont fit properly and are a waste of money. Pay the extra for genuine fuel filter as it fits correctly. Doesnt restrict the fuel flow rate and will work 100%

beeny

Post by beeny »

i have ordred a decent filter, and will post update when fitted. i am also intrested how ROB N has got on with the bulb as that was my other thought. Incidentally I have noticed that there is a slight sucking noise coming from the filter when he engine switched off. you ave to be in a quiet place and listen closely.
beeny

Post by beeny »

Well thought it was about time to post a result, I bought a genuine NISSAN filter, and changed it. I would never have believed the difference, the car starts immediately, and keeps going, even at the sub zero temperatures we have recently had.... also the acceleration is smoother and it has more oomph at low revs. I see where Dani87 is coming from, a patent motor factor filter as a false economy...the type many garages will use!! see below for item I purchased.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300786157759 it is easy to get at and change if you want to give it a go....happy to elaborate if anyone wants info.
Rob. N

Post by Rob. N »

Because my driveway is sloped parking it facing nose down meant it would start first time everytime. (When parked nose up this caused the fuel to drain back to the tank.)I did not attend to this myself as this is was agreed under the warantee I purchased the Car under.The Car went back to the Garage that fitted the Fuel Filter, last Monday and they replaced the Priming Bulb; the following morning the car would not start on the flat! When the Garage tried to start it he following morning prior to collection.Incidentally the Clips are only to hold the bulbs in situ.They are now investigating further??Will ring them and ask them if it was a genuine part; and advise them of the findings of the Forum, if it wasn't otherwise they may have the car for longer?I am currently using their courtesy car; but would like to have my car back ASAPThanX for posting your findings, much appreciated!Will post back when I get confirmation of their decision/findings!
Rob. N2014-12-17 12:52:04
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

beeney, elaborate away! Info like this is more than welcome. Cheers.
dani87

Post by dani87 »

[quote="Rob. N"] Because my driveway is sloped parking it facing nose down meant it would start first time everytime. (When parked nose up this caused the fuel to drain back to the tank.)

I did not attend to this myself as this is was agreed under the warantee I purchased the Car under.

The Car went back to the Garage that fitted the Fuel Filter, last Monday and they replaced the Priming Bulb; the following morning the car would not start on the flat! When the Garage tried to start it he following morning prior to collection.

Incidentally the Clips are only to hold the bulbs in situ.

They are now investigating further??

Will ring them and ask them if it was a genuine part; and advise them of the findings of the Forum, if it wasn't otherwise they may have the car for longer?

I am currently using their courtesy car; but would like to have my car back ASAP

ThanX for posting your findings, much appreciated!

Will post back when I get confirmation of their decision/findings!

[/QUOTE] the bulb was a waste of money. Its always the filter if an after market one is fitted. I have explaned this to many customers who have given up with there garage and brought it to us as a last resort.
Rob. N

Post by Rob. N »

I'm still waiting for them to get back to me have advised them of your findings dani87 didn't realise you were a Mechanic will take more notice next time Can't really argue with the Gargae as they are doing it under waranteeWonder how long it will be before they give up and fit a Real Filter?

dani87

Post by dani87 »

Im a nissan master tech. I know £60 is a lot for a filter and i believe they could be a bit less seeing as you can get an aftermarket one for £20 ish but by the time you have taken it back several times then taken it to the dealer and incured a £100 diag bill then £60 parts bill and poss £50 labour to fit. Is all the fuss worth it?

I always advise genuine fuel filter if your going to use other parts and service yourself.
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

Would you advise changing the fuel and air filters at every service irrespective of what the service schedule states?
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
dani87

Post by dani87 »

Air filter maybe. Remove and drain fuel filter every service. Every 36 k or two years for fuel filter.