Starting Problem

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
TonyD96

Post by TonyD96 »

Hi AllI have a 58 reg 1.5 dci acenta which I have had for about 15 months. Over the last couple of months, I have had some irregular starting issues. The car fires up normally, but within about 10 seconds it dies and will not re-start for anything between 1 & 5 minutes. As I say, it has been irregular, but now it is happening all the time and this morning it will not restart at all. Has anyone any ideas what might be causing this so that I can take it to the Nissan dealer armed with some knowledge. Thanks all.Tony

pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

well to run a diesel you only need fuel and air ..now as you have no throttle butterfly or other obstruction then the air is there ..so you come down to fuel..if its starting initially then the glow plugs are OK ....could of course be injection timing /crank sensor ...it does not know when to inject so it does not ,,,,..have you got any fault codes ?
TonyD96

Post by TonyD96 »

HiThanks for your response - I had to get Britannia Rescue, and their engineer suggested 'air getting into the fuel system', which is what I will say to the Nissan Dealer. He got the car started by 'squeezing' a an 'ellipse' shaped rubber pump at top left of engine compartments as you look at it - he said that this should work in the interim until I can get it booked in. Once started, the car runs absolutely fine - how can this be if there is a problem with the fuel getting through?Where would I see any fault codes?ThanksTony
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

That is good news as if you have no fault codes its not electronic ....I would check the fuel lines along and under the car for damage ..it sounds like you have a fuel leak/air getting in ...The bulb is the fuel primer for use when you run out of fuel,,,sounds like the main pump is not self priming. The leak is most probably after the primer bulb but check all lines to be certain ( the valves in the primer bulb should stop flow back to the tank ...) If you pump the bulb whilst checking you may see a leak
TonyD96

Post by TonyD96 »

HiThanks for that. I have the car booked in for tomorrow. Yesterday after Britannia rescue got me started, I took the car for a 10 mile trip to make sure the battery got re-charged - it performed perfectly. I am still curious - when the car eventually starts, how does it keep running if there is a problem with the fuel getting through.ThanksTony
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

You must have a leak in the presurized part of the system....when its running it leaks fuel out and when its stopped air comes in from outside so it cannot pressurise the system and start ...just like air in the brakes....
TonyD96

Post by TonyD96 »

Hi PistnbrokeGot the car back yesterday pm - they replaced the fuel filter and all seems well (fingers crossed).Thanks for your advice with this.Tony
beeny

Post by beeny »

I have exactly the same problem, the car starts fine if left for up to about 7 hours... anything after this it has the symptoms described above. It is as though the fuel is being slowly sucked out of the filter, no smell or sign of a diesel leak. The filter was only changed about 2000 miles ago on the last service (not main dealer). Having read this, I will try changing it myself.... (there is a u-tube video that makes it look very easy), but before I buy one, Is this a common fault, or maybe a faulty batch / or is there a make of filter that is best avoided?
Rob. N

Post by Rob. N »

Recently had the Fuel Filter Changed too! A few days later
the intermittent starting problem occurred!

I noticed the Plastic Clips at each end the Priming Bulb were not secured nor
put back in the Metal frame to hold them in place.I fixed them and the intermittent problem still persists?

I took it back to where I had it Fitted and they say they have checked all the fuel
lines "O" rings and seals for leaks.

One of the Clips has since come undone, (I think they are
loose and are letting in air?)

Will be buying New Clips and Bulb; and post back when
tested.

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Rob. N

Post by Rob. N »

Will be also watching this Thread in another Forum as my driveeway is sloped and I have been parking nose up!http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/has-any- ... 08200Topic: has any body got the 2008 1.5? Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 9:24am

Hi Guys,Has any body got a 2008 qashqai that could do me a favour please?I
am having trouble with the priming fuel pump...when i turned the key
once, I used to hear the pump prime the fuel, now I don't and the car
won't start when on a hill...If someone could
try and find where the priming noise is coming from that would be a
great help and Nissan don't seem to think this model has a priming pump
but I have 100% heard the primer before!Cheers,Jack