Pedal height causing pain!

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Ninja13
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Ninja13 »

Recently acquired our 2015 Qashqai and seem to have developed pain in my feet from driving! 😯 when driving the pedals seem that high that my feet are always raised and cannot rest on the heels when stationary or driving, finding it a very uncomfatable drive and not sure if it's causing worse issues. I don't drive for long to an from work, only 20 mins but the issue with foot pain didn't start till a few weeks into getting the car?? I am not short or have small feet (7) and hubs agrees the pedals don't seem right, but it's baffling why pedals so high!

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Sounds crazy, but its probably more related to your height, leg length, arm length and your driving position. The closer you are to the steering wheel, the more acute the angle between your foot and lower leg, sometimes making it impossible to put your heel down whilst on the pedals.
Try adjusting your seat, lower, as far back as you can so that your leg is not fully straight when depressing the clutch, and also recline the seat very slightly to increase the angle between the spine and the upper leg. Just have a good play about with your drivers seat and find a more suitable driving position. Remember, if you are comfortable in the leg department but are struggling to reach the steering wheel, then the steering wheel can be adjusted in both height and reach to suit your position.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Ninja 13, totally agree with gvmdaddy‘s comments and all his points are relevant, you just have to play around with the settings. Just so as not to bore you please read the positive comments on this old post which might help you - Dave ;)

https://qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=10
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

On another note it may help if someone can assess you whilst sat in the seat (Door open from the side). Obviously a professional should ideally do this and probably would cost no more than say £50, this is just a guess. If you don’t wish to pay for a professional then get a friend or knowledgeable person to view your position.
Ninja13

Post by Ninja13 »

Thanks for the reply, will have a play about with seating and see how it goes. It's a very different to my previous vehicle which was a Hyundai terracan.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Ninja 13, if you have some time take a look at the Lumbar Support Post and the attachments regarding the Seat Design, it might be of help to you or just inteesting - Dave :) :)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1072

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOL ... _seat.html

There is a lot of Background noise in some parts of this Video :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcDEr_5aevo&app=desktop
    11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
    marathonmal

Post by marathonmal »

Ninja13 I have a similar problem in a 2015 QQ. I am tall and have the seat as far back as it will go but the clutch pedal still seems too high - as in too close to me. It sits further out than the brake pedal. I have also noticed that there is about 2cm of free play before the pedal starts to engage. Does anyone know if the clutch pedal can be adjusted so that it sits further in? Thanks.
    chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I had a real problem with pains in my left foot due to the clutch a couple of years back. I was mistakenly pushing my seat too far back. There is a point where if your leg is too "straight" when you press the clutch, it uses the delicate muscles in your foot normally used for fine control to press it.

It's only when your leg is bent by a certain degree that the muscles in your calf etc take the brunt of the force from the pedal. These muscles are designed to bear all your weight e.g. when walking upstairs.

People don't realise how much force there is in a clutch spring, try pressing it with your hand and you'll see, it sometimes requires 2 hands!
    Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
    fbgqashqai

Post by fbgqashqai »

I trust that you aren't driving with your foot covering the clutch all the time (you state that your foot is always raised) as this will exacerate any issues you are having. Unless in constant stop start traffic your left foot should be to the left of the clutch resting on the bulkhead. If you aren't doing this you might want to give it a try.
    fbgqashai 2017 J11a N Connecta 1.5DCi in Silver
    DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

This DailyM article might be worth a read in regard to your Seating and Back Problems - Dave 😉

https://dailym.ai/2CZnP68