Tow Bar Help Needed!!

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
aaronhyland800
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by aaronhyland800 »

Hi. A friend is fitting a detachable tow bar for me on my 2012 4wd qashqai and just wanted some advice. The 2 links below are the 2 tow bars I have narrowed it down to-

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1816544392

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1766612336

Is there any reason why either of these won’t fit my car? The description says it will fit the J10 2007-2013 models

Will the cheaper one require cutting part of the bumper off to be fitted or will it fit below the bumper. I presume the vertical fitting one will attach underneath the bumper.

I would prefer the cheaper one purely for the price or is it worth paring a bit extra for the vertical one? Thanks

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I can’t help, I had the Nissan towbar fitted to a Juke and it was excellent.

Another member recently asked a similar question
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6338

Good Luck
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

If the add says its for your car, then you have to assume it will fit without cutting unless they say so. Send a message to the seller to get clarity. The more expensive model will make the car look like it does not have a towbar when its removed & probably it will be less open to the environment & less likely to suffer corrosion. The cheaper one will stick out a little & will make it obvious you have a detachable towbar even when the bar is removed. But as long as they are both quality products, they should both work well.

On another note, the wiring kit will probably need changing. You need to read up about your electric system and make sure you have the correct type fitted, the one in the picture probably wont be sufficient. Today a lot of trailers use the 13 pin connector, so I would suggest you get that installed. You will have to decide if you want the full power kit or just the repeaters for brakes, indicators, reverse lights etc. Read up the differences between 7 pin & 13 pin if your confused.
aaronhyland800

Post by aaronhyland800 »

Thanks daewar. I have been doing a bit of research since posting and I am going to get the tow bar without the wiring kit and buy a proper Nissan one.

I don’t mind if the cheaper/horizontal one sticks out slightly at the bottom but I just don’t want to cut a section of the bumper out. Do you know if that would be the case. Thanks
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I cant say about that kit, you need to contact the seller. I had this one fitted to my car, it was not cheap https://www.towsure.com/nissan-qashqai- ... ble-towbar that did not require any cutting.

I know you may not wish to pay a lot for your towbar, but you usually get what you pay for. Buy cheap, buy many times.

I just found the fitting instructions for the cheaper towbar, its at the bottom of the ebay page https://www.umbrarimorchi.it/tech/DOCS/ ... xtMark.pdf go to page 15, looks like some cutting is involved to the bumper.
aaronhyland800 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:34 pm Thanks daewar. I have been doing a bit of research since posting and I am going to get the tow bar without the wiring kit and buy a proper Nissan one.

I don’t mind if the cheaper/horizontal one sticks out slightly at the bottom but I just don’t want to cut a section of the bumper out. Do you know if that would be the case. Thanks
aaronhyland800

Post by aaronhyland800 »

Ah yeah so it does. I think I’ll give that one a miss. I’ll give the company a call tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for all your help. The reason I’m trying to keep costs low is because it’s my wife’s qashqai and she has a bit of a habit of crashing cars so I don’t want to spend a load of money getting one fitted for it to be written off in 6 months haha
Clarky94
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Clarky94 »

just had a genuine one fitted with 13 pin electrics- no bumper cut at all and no spiced cables it all just plugs in
Current Car Qashqai 2017 j11b 1.5dci Tekna Grey
Coming Soon Qashqai 2021 J12 Tekna 158 in Mag Blue inc Fog Lights
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

aaronhyland800 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:57 pm ... it’s my wife’s qashqai and she has a bit of a habit of crashing cars so I don’t want to spend a load of money getting one fitted for it to be written off in 6 months haha
The first giggle of the day! :)
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
conrail
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by conrail »

just had a detachable swanneck towbar fitted today with 15 pin plug, no cutting, done by local company, excellent work, wiring pushes up under the bumper when not in use, would highly recomend this company if you live in the teesside area, so you don't need to have the bumper cut at all
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Conrail, do me a favour and let me have the name of the Manufacturer of the Detachable Swanneck please. I was asking our Nissan Dealer here this week and he mentioned “Nissan or Thule” and he thought the Body had to be cut which I do not want - Thanks in Advance Dave 🙂
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken