Wipers only work on Fast ???

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
vidapura
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by vidapura »

2010 Qashqai.. 1.5 DCi

Wipers have just today started misbehaving...
They wont come on at all with the stalk in the interval setting or the normal position..
When I pull the stalk I get water but wipers don't move.
When stalk is in fastest position they will come on.. and even then sometimes not.
When I turn them off the wipers don't return to the normal resting position.

There's no noise to suggest the linkage is worn or the spline slipping...
I'm wondering is the relay going?
Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Thrall

Post by Thrall »

The fact the wipers don't park correctly seems to point to the motor with its contacts and parking switch. The only difficulty is getting wiper arms off. I recommend a puller with two arms (ebay?) rather than one with a screw and fork. Wiper arms 1/3 of way up screen. Genuine (Valeo) on ebay for 50 squids or so. Been there... Perhaps change the linkage (ebay) while all apart? Hope it goes well.
2013 J10 SE 1.6 dCi 6speed manual, 4wd.
Chris12377
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Chris12377 »

vidapura wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:14 pm 2010 Qashqai.. 1.5 DCi

Wipers have just today started misbehaving...
They wont come on at all with the stalk in the interval setting or the normal position..
When I pull the stalk I get water but wipers don't move.
When stalk is in fastest position they will come on.. and even then sometimes not.
When I turn them off the wipers don't return to the normal resting position.

There's no noise to suggest the linkage is worn or the spline slipping...
I'm wondering is the relay going?
Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Firstly, sorry to be redirecting an old post, but it seems I have exactly the same problem as you had.

Please can you tell me if you got to the bottom of the problem, and what you did to resolve it?

Thanks
Chris
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

If the wipers work any time but don't park correctly, then it is 100% certain that the contacts in the motor are faulty. When the motor spindle wears, water enters the motor which lies right under the edge of the windscreen. Hope that helps.
Chris12377

Post by Chris12377 »

Thrall wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:45 pm If the wipers work any time but don't park correctly, then it is 100% certain that the contacts in the motor are faulty. When the motor spindle wears, water enters the motor which lies right under the edge of the windscreen. Hope that helps.
Hi Thrall,

Thank you very much for replying to my post.

So my situation is this:
- Wipers do not work in intermittent or rain sensing mode.
- WIpers only work in Fast mode, and even sometimes when switched back to off and then on again they don't start
- When I switch fast mode to off, the wipers don't return to the bottom, they just stop wherever they are at the time of me turning them off.

Just to be sure, would this all still lead you to the same conclusion as above (i.e. contacts in motor faulty)? If so, what would be the fix please?

I had read somewhere that it might just be a faulty relay (possibly the intermittent wiper relay). But I do not know where to find this. Would anyone know so that I may check this and rule it out?

Thank you
Chris
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

The relay is internal to the IPDM its soldered into the board you would have to replace the whole IPDM and configure it if the relay was faulty, wiper motor could still be the issue here I would remove the scuttle panel and check the voltages at the motor that will give you direction as to whether its motor or connector issue or if it's the other way towards the IPDM and wiring and all.
Hope this helps
Chris12377

Post by Chris12377 »

Thanks mate, got it in at the garage today to check the motor and replace if necessary. I'll report back with the outcome later on.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Interesting that the wiper parking is incorrect on HI wipe. Thats a motor position sensing problem. And LO wipe doesn't work at all. If there was a common factor I suspect its wiring/harness.

Unfortunately the wiper system is far too complicated for this simple job.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Chris12377

Post by Chris12377 »

Ok, the car has been to the garage and had the wiper motor replaced, parts and labour came to £120 which I thought was very reasonable.

That has solved the problem and everything is now back to working as normal!
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

Good to hear. Relieved to hear my suspicions were not unfounded. :)