Red EML reset & P0488 EGR problem

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
mr_jon
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by mr_jon »

Hi all,

We've had our 2009 euro4 K9K mk1 QQ for a few years now. About a month ago the EGR valve stuck open and caused a starting issue - a bit of tapometry on the valve got her going again. Cleaned out but really very clean anyway. So I knew the EGR was on the way out.

Then I got a red EML light and P0488 - EGR problem middle of last week. Car driving OK in limp mode, just even less power than usual as I guess the ECU reduces boost to minimum. I replaced the valve - not an OEM one, but a good aftermarket brand. However the light remains on. Seems to be lots of opinions on this:

You need to drive 50 or 100 miles or so before the car will be happy the fault is resolved (have only drive 20 miles or so, so far).
You can try a pedal dance - didn't do anything on my car.
Can't reset with Torque Lite & my ELM237, only appears to work with orange EML faults.
Disconnect the battery overnight - didn't work.
Has to be reset with pro-level diagnostic gear (or dealer stuff, last resort as £'s).

Anyone able to shed any light? Appreciate it.

Cheers!

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

From the EC (Engine Control) document linked: (this document may not be 100% but gives indications)
Search doc on egr

EGR VOLUME CONTROL VALVE CLOSED POSITION LEARNING : Special Repair
Requirement INFOID:0000000001082272
1.START
1. Turn ignition switch ON.
2. Perform “EGR ADAPTIVES” in WORK SUPPORT mode with CONSULT-III.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF.and wait at least 30 seconds.
4. Start engine and let it idle.

Its too big to attach here and is rather complex. Requires the Nissan special tool CONSULT III

https://cardiagn.com/engine-control-system-qashqai-07-10/
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
mr_jon
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by mr_jon »

Thanks, I had seen that but only applicable to other engines like the 1.6 diesel or the petrol hr16de here. The K9K (1.5 diesel) workshop manual just says to replace it - however maybe there is still some EGR/CONSULT stuff that has to be done, but isn't mentioned?

I do appreciate the reply.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:11 pm Thanks, I had seen that but only applicable to other engines like the 1.6 diesel or the petrol hr16de here. The K9K (1.5 diesel) workshop manual just says to replace it - however maybe there is still some EGR/CONSULT stuff that has to be done, but isn't mentioned?

I do appreciate the reply.
Not sure where that document came from but as you say not all engines are covered. Since the subject is emissions I suspect the procedure is similar. The EGR replacement needs to enter a learning sequence for the ECU which likely needs the ECU to be configured by CONSULT. I expect that the procedure is mandatory and to meet emissions law.

Its similar to O2 sensors that when replaced require in some instances (BMW) a drive and for certain periods at certain revs. ECU learning again.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta