Fault finding

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
zharrt

Post by zharrt »

My 2013 J10 Qashqai +2 is now starting to show it's age, it was (and still is) showing a stop/start issue and general engine warning light and more than frequently now the battery is dead when I try to start the car. The problems is that it's random, some times it will start, other times it will not. I have done all the basic checks, made sure no interior lights are on etc. I called out the AA and they confirmed the battery is "fine" and it is getting a good charge when idling. Using an OBD reader I am getting the following error codes:

P0183 - Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit High Input
P0380 - Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A" Malfunction

Now both of these (to me an absolute layman in these situations) sound like a possible symptom or a cause of battery problems.

My question is how do I start to diagnose the underlying issue, my local garage has taken a look (and similar to the AA said the battery is fine) and as it is a small independent place I am not sure how much diagnosis they would be able to do, I am also aware that at 7 years old taking it to a main Nissan dealer could get expensive. The battery has already been replaced once since I got the car in 2016.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how I could proceed, I am based in West Yorkshire so any recommendations of where I could take the car locally to get it looked at would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

I am guessing the second fault could well be a glow plug gone and would need to be replaced. On my last car I had one glow plug gone, but the car still started so left it. However on the previous car to that, one faulty glow plug and the car would not start for ages, had to keep cranking the engine to start it. It may well be the two fault codes are linked
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

P0380 is a glowplug or module fault but majority of the time its glowplugs, as far as I'm aware euro 6 K9K has 2 plugs in parallel circuit and the other 2 separate parallel circuit and it detects an issue by measuring the overall resistance of the circuit if one glow plug goes down the overall resistance will go up and thus throwing a p0380

The p0183 is saying the circuit for the fuel tempreture sensor is open circuit thus a high input, the ECM gives out 5v on the signal wire and the temp sensor provides a specific resistance relative to the tempreture which pulls the 5v supply down to the corresponding voltage which then indicates a tempreture. Being high input means the sensors signal voltage is stuck at 5v, anything about 4.5v will throw a high input code and anything below 0.5v will throw a low input code.

If your starting issue is battery related then do you have to jump start it when it doesnt start to get it started? If so there may be a parasitic drain on the battery (something drawing power when it shouldnt) you would require someone who knows how to check for a drain on the system, it is relatively easy with the right tools and product knowledge or technical data.

Hope this helps
DaveBrow
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by DaveBrow »

I've recently got a 09 Tekna and I cant open both the rear doors from inside. I've checked the child locks switch on each door and there both in the unlocked position.Am I missing something really obvious.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

DaveBrow wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:04 pm I've recently got a 09 Tekna and I cant open both the rear doors from inside. I've checked the child locks switch on each door and there both in the unlocked position.Am I missing something really obvious.
Welcome to this forum - I see you've posted this query twice - I suggest people reply at the other topic - viewtopic.php?p=78059#p78059
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)