Car dealer disabled my dashcam during service

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Probably a good thing the UK is leaving then :P

So you have no idea then if the garage decide to use your car as a demonstrator or runabout? unless you record the mileage when you take it in, which I always forget to do .. doh!

I have said in another post, that my cam does turn off after 1 min, but I guess the garage people would not know it.

My biggest gripe is not so much about turning the cam off, its the doing so without informing me.
Geordieman wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:20 pm I always switch mine off for the servicing. What I do is take pics all around and inside the car in case there is any damage done by the garage people. I read recently that there is a new EU law coming out about now which prohibits all sorts of photography of anybody without permission.

Post by 298 »

paplane wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:11 pm If you don't trust them to treat your car with courtesy then why are you taking it there?

As is said above, camera surveillance by a customer is not really appropriate IMO. I wouldn't want it in my line of work so I wouldn't impose it upon others.
You never hear of dash cam evidence being used to prove what nice chaps those mechanics were. It's always illicit test drives of customers vehicles, that sometimes only come to light when the owner gets a speeding ticket through the post.

In my experience it is being done by the Mechanics as their own personal preference, instead of controlled through the customer handover at the service desk. Which is fine if they merely covered the lenses up, it's the five minutes fumbling around to unplug the things and failing to reconnect them. I can't see my dash cam from the drivers seat, and it was a few days later when I noticed it wasn't on when driving. What if I'd had an accident in the mean time?, and where would the dealership stand on the obstruction of evidence issue that the dead dashcam didn't record...?
2014 1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium in Gunmetal Grey.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

To be honest, I'd be more worried that the dash cam would "go missing". I've had the occasional CD etc go missing during services. ("It wasn't in here when you left it with us, honest guv")
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Terry64
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Terry64 »

Why would you want to watch you car while it is being serviced ?
Check for damage when dropped off check for damage on collection.

I think you may find that you have no right to see how they carry out certain jobs and they have every right to prevent you filming inside there workshop ( Private ).
The technicians go through a lot of training to do there job and I am sure they do not want videos made and posted to you tube so we can all carry out certain tasks ourself without paying the Nissan dealer.

You obviously left the dash cam on so you could catch the footage of the service without asking as if you asked you would of been informed no you can not do that.
And you could of asked why not face to face.

Does your dashcam record sound ?
Is it illegal to record a conversation in the UK?
The rules vary between businesses and individuals, but in general it's not a crime to record a conversation without telling someone.

If you record someone's conversation in secret, it could potentially be considered a breach of their privacy.

But even so, it's not a criminal offence to secretly record calls for your own use - it's more of a potential civil wrong which can be redressed with a claim for damages.

The legal aspect comes in to the equation if someone shares the recording without the consent of the people in the call.

And as for taking video or pictures there are privacy rules
The legality of taking photos and videos depends on the context. Whether a photograph or video was legally taken depends on the location where it was taken, and the photographer's status with regard to being on that property.

Broadly speaking, the public has the right to take photos and videos in public spaces, for example in public parks or city streets. The analysis becomes more complicated in privately owned spaces.

For example, the public also has an implied right to be on the public portions of private property, such as in a restaurant or a stadium. However, that implied right does not extend to private areas of public accommodations, such as offices or the hallways of condominium buildings. Moreover, the owner of a restaurant or stadium can certainly prevent a photographer from snapping photos. Indeed, you will often see a "No photos or videos!" sign at many concert venues. Because this space is privately owned, the owners are permitted to impose that restriction.

In your case you tried to video record in a privately owned space ( The workshop ) so they have a right to switch off the recording device or refuse entry ( This would mean your car could not be serviced )
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights
Deleted User 3871

Hi Terry,

I think you have got every thing correct apart from one thing that really gets me. The Dealer did not inform me as a customer what they were going to do or had anything available (signage) to suggest this was normal practice. I'm cool with it all now that I know what is happening and I'm sure some of you guys are also wise to this practice.
Terry64 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:46 pm In your case you tried to video record in a privately owned space ( The workshop ) so they have a right to switch off the recording device or refuse entry ( This would mean your car could not be serviced )
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daewar, absolutely correct regarding the mileage you just forget it normally. At our Dealer here when I book the QQ in for Service I have to sign a paper for the Service and they then ask for the mileage. When the QQ is taken in for the Service the mileage is then entered again on the Service Doc. and this is stated also on the Electronic Service Doc. and the Bill which can then be double checked when driving away - pretty basic but it appears to work Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Terry64

Post by Terry64 »

Daewar wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 pm Hi Terry,

I think you have got every thing correct apart from one thing that really gets me. The Dealer did not inform me as a customer what they were going to do or had anything available (signage) to suggest this was normal practice. I'm cool with it all now that I know what is happening and I'm sure some of you guys are also wise to this practice.
Terry64 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:46 pm In your case you tried to video record in a privately owned space ( The workshop ) so they have a right to switch off the recording device or refuse entry ( This would mean your car could not be serviced )
Hi you are probably correct regarding being no signs to say you can not video record in the work shop area and I think this is due to the fact dash cams have only really just become standard piece of kit in cars.
The workshop area will be signed to say no entry to customers and if you find one with a viewing window you will find a no video recording sign on that window.
But the practice of cars arriving with there dash cams turned on is a pretty new thing to the dealerships and they are only just learning them self how to deal with it.

I understand you were not informed its a NO NO and I am sure some where in the near future we will start to see signs and the receptionist booking cars in will start reeling the words off " Does your car have a dash cam " maybe it will take more people to complain there dash cam was turned off.

When you will see a change is when a customer says you have been messing with my dash cam and it will not work now, I think you owe me £150 for a new dash cam ect ect.

Because this is exactly what will happen one day, a customer will blame the dealer for damaging there dash cam and if the video shows the cam working in there premises and then being switched off only to not work again the dealer will not have a leg to stand on. And your dash cam shown just this apart from yours worked again.

There should be a warning as it is kind of like some one has been messing with your private things and you feel there has been an intrusion.

Terry
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights
Clarky94
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Clarky94 »

I took one of my cars in to tyre fitters because i felt the wheels hadn't been balanced properly , when i got back in the car after the work i noticed the dash camera had been pushed so it viewed the sky, i was suspicious so i though i would view the footage but all all i could see what sky and hear the sound, but when i ran the footage through a piece of software that picked up on the gps i could not only hear the fitter ragging it like a race car, from the data from the camera and map i could see it was doing up to 60 in a 40 area and 45 in a 30 and when he hit 60 i could hear him say "No speed wobble there son"
Current Car Qashqai 2017 j11b 1.5dci Tekna Grey
Coming Soon Qashqai 2021 J12 Tekna 158 in Mag Blue inc Fog Lights
Deleted User 3871

Clarky, What did you do about this incident? Tell the police? Send the footage to the head office of the workshop?
Clarky94 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:58 pm I took one of my cars in to tyre fitters because i felt the wheels hadn't been balanced properly , when i got back in the car after the work i noticed the dash camera had been pushed so it viewed the sky, i was suspicious so i though i would view the footage but all all i could see what sky and hear the sound, but when i ran the footage through a piece of software that picked up on the gps i could not only hear the fitter ragging it like a race car, from the data from the camera and map i could see it was doing up to 60 in a 40 area and 45 in a 30 and when he hit 60 i could hear him say "No speed wobble there son"
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

The Nissan dealer pulled the plug on my dashcam this year, but last year the tyre fitting company didn't and I found them discussing the fact they'd damaged an alloy. The company reprimanded them!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)