Buying Used 1.2 Petrol or 1.6 Diesel Xtronic?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Pedro500
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Pedro500 »

Hi Chris,
Many thanks for the reply. Yes it's 1.2 Xtronic 2015 model. Do you advise I forfeit the car, and get my deposit back, which they agreed, as the car is taking too long to repair in their workshop but won't reduce the price or compensate me for the delay. Would you say this would need engine replacement soon?

The wife was happy with the design and comfort of the model, but I knew it has had a very poor reliability record, certainly don't want to land a hefty bill, even if we get rid of it after a year of driving an SUV, the sheer pleasure of it. The car only 3 years old and done 25K miles. Don't know why Qashqais are massively popular even though they have dreadful reliability. Liked the car though a bit under powered but felt comfortable to sit in.

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

If they are talking timing chains and 3 year old 1.2, then almost certainly it needs a new engine. It's a known fault, where an incorrectly installed piston in one of the chambers causes oil to seep past meaning it gets burned off and the first thing to suffer is the timing chain compartment. Lack of lubrication damages the chain. If they just put a new timing chain in, it's only hiding the fault. Then a few months down the line you'll be looking at a £8500 engine replacement bill.

Is it still within the 3 years manufacturers warranty? Buying from a car supermarket probably means you'll not get a decent warranty.

If you want a QQ, there's thousands out there at Nissan dealers where you'll get a decent Nissan Cared4 warranty (which is what covered the engine replacement on mine thank God!)
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Pedro500

Post by Pedro500 »

It's over 3 year's old, so no Nissan warranty. Apart from the timing chain kit, the're also going fit a new Oil Filter!
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Pedro500 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:26 pm It's over 3 year's old, so no Nissan warranty. Apart from the timing chain kit, the're also going fit a new Oil Filter!
That's nice of them!
If you can get your deposit back, do it and run a million miles. There is absolutely no way a 25K car with a "lifetime timing chain" would need timing chain repairs.
Oh and the turbo doesn't make a loud whirring noise - that sounds like a potential dodgy CVT. which could be another several thousand pound repair!
Pedro500

Post by Pedro500 »

Update. Collecting another Qashqai Xtronic 1.2 Petrol model 2015 plate.

But this time from a Nissan dealer with 1 year Nissan warranty. Collecting it on tomorrow afternoon. Got my deposit back from my earlier Qashqai from a car supermarket in London. So hope everything will be OK.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Pedro, good luck to you. At least you have hopefully a Nissan Dealer to give you some support with the 1year Guarantee. Make sure when you pick it up you give it the once over and report what you are unhappy with - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Pedro500

Post by Pedro500 »

DaveBerlin wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:50 pm Pedro, good luck to you. At least you have hopefully a Nissan Dealer to give you some support with the 1year Guarantee. Make sure when you pick it up you give it the once over and report what you are unhappy with - Dave :)
Well got the car from Hastings yesterday and drove home back to London, no problem except when I got near home there was some speed humps and I could hear cabin rattles near the Driver passenger side which I was not happy about then realized the locking wheel nut was kept in glove box by the sales man, so that might be the reason for the rattle, so I'll put that away in the boot, and see what happens.

Now this morning, couldn't drive the car from my driveway!

The engine starts and I can't move it forwards or reverse, even an inch. I de-activated the electric parking brake and toggled between Drive and Reverse and no difference, it won't move an inch. Though the Driveway is a bit of an incline but that shouldn't affect it. It's an Automatic.

I wanted to reverse back on the road, but couldn't. Phone the Dealer and spoke to the salesman and he couldn't find any solutions except for me to call for Roadside recovery! Now called the RAC, I am not having any luck with Qashqais! :(
switchback

Post by switchback »

chrisw99 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:48 pm If they are ordering a timing chain kit, that suggests the fault is the well known one that requires engine replacement. A new timing chain will hide the fault for a bit but it would come back.
Not necessarily, the new kit could include modifications to rectify the issue that caused the initial problem.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Pedro500

Post by Pedro500 »

The RAC man came and there was no fault, I just needed to press the gas more, as it was in an inclined. Sorted.

Now the rattle in the cabin remains. I think the Driver side passenger door frame or the vent that causing the rattle for low speed ride with bad roads.

Not sure if the dealer can sort this out, but it is disconcerting for such an expensive car.

Apart from the low speed rattle, the car is very nice to drive, with light and accurate steering ideal for many turns in urban narrow lane congested filled roads and to park. The ride is very good and goes over speed bumps very well. Once on the open road, it's quite an not bad at pulling at mid range but low end it does make some noise.

The wife loves SUV height and the panoramic roof.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

switchback wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:35 am
chrisw99 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:48 pm If they are ordering a timing chain kit, that suggests the fault is the well known one that requires engine replacement. A new timing chain will hide the fault for a bit but it would come back.
Not necessarily, the new kit could include modifications to rectify the issue that caused the initial problem.
No - the initial problem is that the faulty piston chamber burns oil, starving it from the timing chain chamber. The timing chain kit is the new timing chain + tensioner, but that cannot fix the original fault within the piston chamber.