Diesel IDLE rattle

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
r.langford93
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by r.langford93 »

I have a 4 year old Nissan Qashqai Tekna 1.5 Diesel. It's done 20k. It's fully serviced by a very good independent as per the manufacturers requirements. I've had the car from new.

The car is ruining fine but it's started to give a loud rattle at idle. It's just been serviced and I've also checked the oil so it's not that.

Has anyone any ideas as to what this could be? Thank you to all contributors.

davej
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by davej »

This is an interesting post as my 1,6dci started to develop a rattle at idle and I never really got to the bottom of the problem until in September the Turbo failed in a big way.The rattle while not loud you could hear at tickover but not at speed. This started about 2 months before the Turbo bearings failed, when it rattled like nails in a tin can. It fact the rattle both myself and my garage thought was a problem with the aux drive belt/tensioner that would be changed soon at 180K anyway.

My turbo didn't whine or smoke just suddenly lost power and rattled. This then involved RAC recovery and an engine out job, which also replaced Cam chain , oil chain, EGr valve and a few other bits and pieces. I wasn't to surprised as the car had done 170K but my other car a Toyota has now done 317K yes 317K without any turbo problems

I suspect its your turbo if mine is anything to go by! Cheers Dave
DJ