To buy or not to buy...

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
TerryH
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by TerryH »

... that is the question

My N-Connecta is now three years and four months old. I don't usually keep my cars that long, but I've only done 13,000 miles in it (not surprising this year) and I've been waiting for the Qashqai hybrid, which is rumoured to appear next year. I suspect it will be delayed anyway, with Brexit etc., and all I can find out about it is that it will be longer and wider than the present model. The width is a problem for me, as I like to keep my cars in my garage and the N-Connecta just fits in. Even a couple of inches extra width will be a real problem.

Nissan have introduced the N-Motion and I'm considering getting that and forgetting the hybrid for a while. Trouble is, the N-Motion has a "glass" roof, which I don't really want but could live with, has a 1.3 engine rather than my present 1.6, has less power (140 against my present 160bhp), and produces the same emissions more or less so is no cheaper to tax. So if I buy an N-Motion, I'll be getting a car that is less powerful and no more efficient than my present N-Connecta, which I really like anyway. I would be getting a new vehicle and three years' warranty, of course, but I really can't see much advantage.

Do I stick with the N-Connecta, which is virtually like new - showroom condition, the salesman said when I looked at the N-Motion - or do I change to the N-Motion? Or do I wait for the hybrid?

It's a dilemma. Your thoughts will be interesting...
Qq N-Connecta. DIG-T 163 1.6 Petrol. Vivid blue. Sept. 2017. Lancs., UK

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Terry, there is very little official Nissan Info’ around but below under a recent post is the Nissan Proposed Design Specification which should help you.
We are also interested in the New QQ as from what I have read the Design Changes are vast and worthwhile. Yes the 1,6L (160PS) Motor is quicker than the newly developed Nissan / Renault / MB 1,3L Motor ( 8,9s / 10,9s) but this new motor is very smooth and poky, we have the 160PS Version.
The QQ Dimensions as you mentioned are bigger : 35mm Longer / 20mm Wider so yes bigger !
The Panoramic Roof IMHO is a plus, very light and airy interior, in the summer worth when very hot worth keeping closed, in the winter keeping open prevents moisture buildup.

Naturally the decision is yours, ours is a Nov 19 model so we will have to make a similar decision which is not easy as you tend to lose a lot of money, unless you pick up a good offer now and get a good price on the resale. Or you just move on with the Newer High Tech Offering - Dave 😉

This was a recent post with a lot of facts on the New QQ :
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10300

Read this as this has the Proposed Nissan QQ Design Changes :
https://uk.nissannews.com/en-GB/release ... experience
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Terry, just remembered another possible problem for you. Attached are the existing QQ Outside Dimensions. Apparently the New QQ will have Door Mounted Mirrors rather than at present on the Door “A” Pillar, so that would mean lower down and a possibly bigger width dimension - Dave 😊

86E600F8-2527-4065-ADB0-D34B5638544D.jpeg

DA2BE028-49FE-443D-88D8-49F60B3D939E.jpeg

7A0506A0-C218-4F00-96A1-9E4B8699CC67.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Thanks for all that, Dave, especially the links you posted. Very interesting what you said about the repositioning of the mirrors. Hadn't thought of that. That might well rule it out for me. If only I could widen my garage but that's impossible. Don't like leaving the car out. Vulnerable to thieves and nutters, I'm afraid.
Geordieman

Post by Geordieman »

TerryH
We were in a similar situation last Nov. with our almost immaculate, low mileage N Connect 1.2 CVT. It was nearly needing an MOT and I would have to pay for a tyre, a full sevice and also an extended warranty plus a years tax. I used Carwow to get a quote and the best one was at a Main dealership just a few miles away. They were offering a big Carwow discount. I also used the Carwow calculator to give me an idea of how much trade-in I would get. I was going to go ahead if they increased the trade-in by a couple of hundred quid but on meeting the sales person he didn't budge. I then went to another main dealer not doing the Carwow offers and told him what I had been offered. He said he would better the deal and we got an extra £500 trade-in, another additional £70 of the new car and Nissan car mats and £20 petrol. We could only get Pearl Black but we love it now. We also picked the car up 5 days later because they were doing so little business. It was the best car purchase experience I have ever had and I've had a lot.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
balithbe

Post by balithbe »

I’m having a similar dilemma,I have a diesel Tekna + on a 3 year PCP which ends in March next year,dealer is trying to get me to change early but can only offer a petrol 1.3 (160) N Motion which means I give up my heated front screen,Bose audio,memory electric seats so not prepared to do that,also I have the diesel at the moment which I know is not available moving forward.

Thinking I may wait for the new model and see what options I have then.
Collabro
2007 1.5dci Visia Faded Denim
2011 1.5dci Ntec Magnetic Red
2015 1.5dci Tekna Storm White
2018 1.5dci Tekna+ Vivid Blue
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Terry, there appears to be some other additions in the new QQ also “Stolen Vehicle Tracking is introduced for new Qashqai(*). This service provides a 24/7 contact with police and third-party customer services, with automatic theft notification through the NissanConnect smartphone app, allowing vehicles to be tracked and recovered.” - Dave 🤨
Ours is outside in Berlin and I use one of these now and the Pouch for the Intelligent Key :

1BFCA533-B7FE-424C-B564-81740E544AB9.jpeg

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Thanks, all. I can see that I am not alone in my dilemma. I sometimes wonder why manufacturers keep changing things when they are not an improvement. I don't think the 1.3 engine is an improvement. It delivers less power - 130 against 160 for my 1.6 N Connecta - and produces the same emissions, so where is the benefit? I'm still chewing over what to do. Things are never simple!
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

The 1.3 has either 140bhp or 160bhp depending on the state of tune. Not sure where you're getting the 130 from.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

The 1.3 engine in 160bhp guise is fantastic - powerful and fairly frugal if treated right