Intermittent unlocking / key ID issue

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Teknaman

Post by Teknaman »

Over the last couple of weeks we’ve experienced a few occasions when returning to the car (it doesn’t seem to happen if it’s at home) where we can’t unlock it. The latest being today after a trip to a local park. I eventually opened the door with the emergency key part of my fob & set off the alarm. Once in the car I still couldn’t start it, as the display said ‘Invalid Key ID’.

Eventually after some fiddling about with the fob (basically pressing open & close) it allowed me to start the car. I recall we had this ‘key ID’ issue before when a fob battery was low, but they’ve both been replaced recently & my car is also on it’s 2nd main battery. It has been used less frequently during the last 8 months, but still gets a long run occasionally & used 2-3 times a week.

Has anyone else had similar issues & if so, what was the outcome/resolution.

Thanks
2015 Qashqai 1.6 2wd Dci Tekna Ink Blue with Pano roof...otherwise it's standard spec, so lots of scope for additions.

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Teknaman wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:17 pm Over the last couple of weeks we’ve experienced a few occasions when returning to the car (it doesn’t seem to happen if it’s at home) where we can’t unlock it. The latest being today after a trip to a local park. I eventually opened the door with the emergency key part of my fob & set off the alarm. Once in the car I still couldn’t start it, as the display said ‘Invalid Key ID’.

Eventually after some fiddling about with the fob (basically pressing open & close) it allowed me to start the car. I recall we had this ‘key ID’ issue before when a fob battery was low, but they’ve both been replaced recently & my car is also on it’s 2nd main battery. It has been used less frequently during the last 8 months, but still gets a long run occasionally & used 2-3 times a week.

Has anyone else had similar issues & if so, what was the outcome/resolution.

Thanks
Do you have a 2nd Key with a good battery within?

The 3 general things:

Poor Battery
Bad Key Fob Unit
Bad communication between car and key (coded signal)
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Teknaman

Post by Teknaman »

No, the other key was at home (today & last night when it also happened) but it was with us (on person, not in car) the other day.

Thanks for the info/suggestions...if the car battery itself was poor I’m assuming the start/stop inactive issue would kick in (we had that before the main battery was replaced originally) but it hasn’t. Fob batteries have been replaced, which may point towards the comms issue.

What can cause that? Interference from other systems?
2015 Qashqai 1.6 2wd Dci Tekna Ink Blue with Pano roof...otherwise it's standard spec, so lots of scope for additions.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Other systems (industrial) can do it. I have experienced it twice in 15 years...one was powerful Radar on an electronics site I visited and knew about (Portsmouth). The other I'm not sure of but was similar and in a town....illegal. Not another car.

Car Start/Stop would be a really bad car battery. I've had the bad Fiamm battery change (FOC) and that battery hovered around and just below 12v. 2 years it lasted. No key problem from it though.

The other thing to do is place the nose of the key physically on the Start/Stop button which brings the car and key radio security electronics into very close contact. That is the default starting procedure where the key battery fails. That should clear the error Key ID and allow a start. Test with both keys. Trouble here points at the key fob if the battery is good and then security comms.

Assuming its illegal interference check the car in a number of different places. Then goto that park and try again. If the problem reliably/repetitively occurs there and nowhere else contact the police.
Last edited by calnorth on Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Teknaman

Post by Teknaman »

Thanks.

I had an older Volvo that I used to struggle to lock at a workplace (industrial estate), which I put down to some kind of interference from big masts nearby. Apart from that, we’ve never had an issue with locking or unlocking motors with fobs.

Yeah I’ve read about how putting the fob on the starter can help. That’s three different locations it’s happened in the last week, with the two different fobs. Will investigate further.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Can I assume the car doors unlock within about 20 yds or more of the car. On press key fob to open?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Teknaman

Post by Teknaman »

I was right next to the car on all these occasions. Are you asking if it works 20+ yards away?
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Teknaman wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:41 pm I was right next to the car on all these occasions. Are you asking if it works 20+ yards away?
Starting is within 3 foot-ish. You should be able to unlock the doors from at least 20 yds away. Thats if the fob is transmitting/receiving ok. Try it or through some walls of the house.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Teknaman

Post by Teknaman »

I’ll check that out, thanks.
Teknaman

Post by Teknaman »

The car would generally unlock ok from a distance. But this has continued to be an intermittent issue, with no particular pattern. Due to COVID restrictions we’ve generally been using the car less, but ran it every so often. Today the car unlocked ok, but wouldn’t start on the driveway (even with the fob on the starter button), displaying the Key ID issue again. Exited the car, relocked & unlocked again...& it started ok.

I’ve checked the voltage of the batteries I installed recently, and they show as 3.3V so doesn’t look like they are the issue. The car is due an MOT/Service early March, so I can ask the garage (Indy) to have a look then.

Having just been made redundant I’m reluctant to put it into the main dealer for any costly work, unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance.