Glow plug testing?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
utigers
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by utigers »

Hi there - I have a J11 2015 QQ. I have all the faults these models give most people, I have now just gone onto a 4th battery and this normally cures the sluggish starts, white screen etc.....It didnt today.

Almost didnt start this morning.....granted its cold....but when it does this, it kicks out a small amount of fumes from the exhaust which is evident visually and you can smell it. This happened about 14 months ago also and my mechanic swapped the glow plugs but then we didnt have a cold morning really to test if this had cured it?

I'm just wondering if there is any easy check to test these glows plugs thats all.....I have a multimeter but couldn't find a decent guide? If anyone could link one that would be great.

Thanks for any help.

Andy4195
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Andy4195 »

I just replaced my glow plugs , mine is a 17 plate only done 17k, I flattened battery trying to start on Xmas day, replaced battery, still no better, took out the NGK glow plugs and replaced with Bosch glow plugs, a little bit more expensive but it’s started first time in the last 10 days sometimes been minus 2 in the morning, but none the less it started immediately, I checked the old glow plugs with a multi meter, using a ohms check, I had 2 defective glow glow plugs, and I read on google just one faulty would make it difficult to start on a cold morning, I had the old battery this not recommended but I earthed an old glowed on the negative battery post and used a wire with crocodile clips connected to the positive post directly on end of glow plug, beware a good glow plug that isn’t faulty will get hot and tip glows extremely quick so using this method be very careful not to touch the tip, common sense prevails. I had 2 glow plugs that didn’t glow on tip using the battery test. Hope this helps.
Andy4195
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Andy4195 »

utigers
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by utigers »

Cheers........I will give that ago.